• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Low voltage on MEP 803a

Chanderson69

Hello all. New to this group with some experience with military generators. I recently purchased an MEP 803a from gov planet. 2007 with tier 2 reset done in 2011 with 220 hours. The unit is only producing 50-60 volts on the L1 & L3 lugs. If I flash the field it produces the normal 220v 60 hz As soon as I let go of the starter switch it returns back to the 50-60 volt range. Also only 28volts out of the receptacles. I can’t imagine the regulator is bad if it shows normal readings so long as I hold the starter switch in the crank position.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
... I can’t imagine the regulator is bad if it shows normal readings so long as I hold the starter switch in the crank position.
The reason proper AC voltage is present with S1 in START is that the set is "Flashing" the gen head to kick off generation.
Flashing is NOT done by the AC Voltage Regulator. It's done by other components behind the gauge panel.
When you release S1 back to Prime/Run the AC Voltage Regulator is supposed to take over and maintain the AC Voltage.