• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lug nuts... hard to turn?

DEA AK

Searched the site, nothing I saw answered so I am asking.

The manual says "install lug nuts to full engagement. If nuts resist finger tightening, discard nuts."

I thought I saw someplace online where someone said they're 'locking' lug nuts so they're supposed to be tight. But, before I ruin anything I wanted to ask.

Are you supposed to be able to actually turn a nut with your fingers? It seems I can get it barely started then I've got to use a wrench.

Thank you

Attachments

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen cases on the HMMWV where the lug nuts don't turn easily simply due to excess paint on the threads. Stiff wire brush and it should go smoothly. If it doesn't, then either the stud, nut or both should be replaced.

Guyfang

Staff member
Mr. Good Wrench, (Miss you Dan) a guy I knew and worked with, sadly passed away, had a brand new lug nut on a chain in his tool box. Whenever he took wheels off, he screwed that brand new lug nut on, to see if the stud needed attention. Cleaning or replacement. Few guys ever think about it. He did and made his guys do it. Never hurts to check.

DEA AK

Mr. Good Wrench, (Miss you Dan) a guy I knew and worked with, sadly passed away, had a brand new lug nut on a chain in his tool box. Whenever he took wheels off, he screwed that brand new lug nut on, to see if the stud needed attention. Cleaning or replacement. Few guys ever think about it. He did and made his guys do it. Never hurts to check.
Being over wrenched, does that mean just use your normal lug nut wrench or use a powered tool? I have only had regular vehicles before so I don't want to ruin my truck. Thank you.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the over torque is usually from power & air tools. I had techs at Western Auto and PepBoys that swore they knew the correct torque by the rat tat tat of the impact.
Total BS. There are now colored sticks for a certain range and torque gauges that properly trained and equipped techs can use on lug nuts.

Huge liabilty for wheels coming off and some shops now require a 2nd person to verify torque & sign work orders.

Old school was to make noise and hope they did not snap......

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being over wrenched, does that mean just use your normal lug nut wrench or use a powered tool? I have only had regular vehicles before so I don't want to ruin my truck. Thank you.
Always use a torque wrench on all of the fasteners on the wheels, half shafts and other drive line components.
The lug nuts on the M1097A1 I just bought require a 24" breaker bar with a 36" cheater pipe to bust loose, a real moron was working on that truck!
I have yet to remove a lug nut that was not ruined from a HMMWV.

Guyfang

Staff member
I never, ever, replace a wheel without a torque wrench. Never. I had a buddy who borrowed MY car. Had a flat. Replaced it, and drove the car another week. One day driving down B-505 outside of Bamberg, he exclaimed to his wife, "Anne, some dumb SOB forgot to tighten up his lug nuts!" as a wheel rolled past MY car. Just then, the front left brake drum of MY car, dipped down, made contact with the road, and spun it around, 360 degrees. He was in the other lane. The Lord was looking out for him. If you are going to wrench on your truck, you need to get a large and small Torque wrench. And KNOW how to use it. Not every nut and bolt needs to be tightened with a torque wrench, but lots should be, and use some Loc-Tight too!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took the Duravee to a local tire shop a couple weeks ago to get one of the tires balanced, I told them repeatedly 110ftlb
I watched the shop owner install the wheel with an electric impact, then one of the hands walked over and torqued the nuts, only I could tell he did not advance the nuts at all meaning they were already over torqued, went home and grabbed my torque wrench and still could not advance the nuts at 160ftlb.
There are morons everywhere!

DEA AK

the over torque is usually from power & air tools. I had techs at Western Auto and PepBoys that swore they knew the correct torque by the rat tat tat of the impact.
Total BS. There are now colored sticks for a certain range and torque gauges that properly trained and equipped techs can use on lug nuts.

Huge liabilty for wheels coming off and some shops now require a 2nd person to verify torque & sign work orders.

Old school was to make noise and hope they did not snap......
copy that - thank you.