• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 and GL sites

Robert Denton

Hi guys,
I'm looking for an M1008 to buy through GL. Have any of you noticed one site or one site guy that's better to go through. Some of the trucks at some sites seem to have more vandalism than others. I know they could have been damaged before they got there, but I'm concerned about what can happen to a truck I might buy after I buy it and before I pick it up. Again I know it's kind of a crap shoot and I don't think that you have to take it if it's condition is changed a lot from the auction, but who wants to deal with that. A good site with a smooth transition is almost as important as a low price. I guess I'm looking for your experiences at different sites. Thanks for any experiences you can share.
Also I'm looking for a complete untouched driveshaft to switch onto the truck if I buy one that needs replacement to get it home. Amazingly these Contractor at GL can't come up with a simple fork lift adapter to prevent damaging the thousands of vehicles they have to handle everyday. I expect to have to do up to a thousand dollars of engine work to get them right, but the last thing I want to see when I'm bidding is another unecessary potential $500.00 in unecessary repairs for driveshaft and body work. Gentlemen your thoughts on where best to get an "untouched" driveshaft. Not interested in one that was just barely touched by the forklift. Vibration not good. Oh yeah and a key. I see them on E-bay.
The trucks aren't worth a lot and with the potential engine repairs needed it's a shame to have to blow more money. I know I know it's the nature of the beast.
Is the jumping the same on these trucks? Can a twelve volt truck jump from one battery to one in the M1008. And what's the 1-2-3 steps recommendations if truck turns over but won't start?

I know there's a lot to cover in this and I appreciate your help. Many Thanks in advance.

Bob

Last edited:

ralbelt

I think that you have to find a truck within reasonable recovery distance that looks to be in good condition. All Gl lots are supposed to be secure, but if one that is 2000 miles away might be better it would cost more to pick it up than the possibility of something missing and having to spend a few buck for parts.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When buying from GL, always assume the worst and hope for the best.

The guys that buy from GL and turn around and seel the item(s) have taken that chance and should make a profit for the chance. You can't win them all.

One thing many GL newbies fal to consider is the "cost" of recovery.

Sure you buy a truck for $1000 two or three states away, but how are you going to get it home, what is the fuel cost, what about and breakdowns, etc.
What are those costs?

Their budgets are already streached thin and somethings happen and they are left holding the bag.

The M1008's on GL, that I have been watching, have been bringing big money. You may want to watch for a GSA live auction in your area. The GSA auction that I got my M1008 from had aprox. 50 trucks and was attended by mostly dealers, looking to make a buck. The prices were great and GSA is much less hastle.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I was watching a M1009 at Redstone last week and it sold for more than the last M916 I bought.:shock:

Unless you are going to buy a lot of stuff frome GL it is usually safer and more cost effective to buy one from a private owner. You pay more but you can preview and drive the vehicle and if you buy it you can take it home immediatly.

Just my dos centavos.

fitz

I'm with DRGREG with the GSA auctions. I bought a nice M1028 from a GSA auction about a year ago. It was a nice turnkey truck for $1800. The GSA uctions don't have any add on fees. That whole GL waiting game just isn't for me.
I was driving my truck down the road within an hour of bidding on it.

760gamemaster

The M1008's on GL, that I have been watching, have been bringing big money. You may want to watch for a GSA live auction in your area. The GSA auction that I got my M1008 from had aprox. 50 trucks and was attended by mostly dealers, looking to make a buck. The prices were great and GSA is much less hastle.
How do you find a GSA live auction? I never see military stuff on their site.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks