• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 bridge plate number

kevin-m1008

I tried searching so maybe someone can push me in the right direction. I have a M1008 and wondered what number should be shown when not pulling a trailer?

I found it is "03" for the m1009 but i think it would be different for the M1008. I think it is not the "69" that shows on mine now!

Thanks in advance.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, from my copy of FM 5-36 dated May 1985-

For our purposes here, the CUCV series is (fortunately) listed, the numbers are for empty, then loaded cross country, highway and combination -
M1009 2 3 3 4
M1008 3 4 4 5
M1010 3 4 4 -
M1028 3 4 4 5
M1031 3 5 5 6
Here ya go

Cheers

landen300

Mine said 68 when I picked it up. So this may be a NEWB question, but if only one number is used, why is it a 2 space plate? Is there ever a reason to use both numbers?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine said 68 when I picked it up. So this may be a NEWB question, but if only one number is used, why is it a 2 space plate? Is there ever a reason to use both numbers?
It is a generic plate to be used on any MV. The CUCV's are at the pipsqueak end of the range (said fondly). Quite a few use both numbers, and pretty high ones to boot. Just imagine a HET hauling an M1!

Cheers

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you had "69" on the bridge plate and tried crossing a riverine bridge in the military, you'd get in trouble for having that set the way it is. You'd have to change it to the correct number setting of "02" to be allowed to cross. At least, if the bridge engineers are doing their job right.

91W350

69 would indicate 138,000 gross vehicle weight, that is a seriously overloaded M1008. I had a load of tools and deuce tires and wheels on mine. I rolled across the scales at the salvage yard at 8.200 and change. My plate should have been 5 as I was over 8,000. I think the empty M1008 weighs more than 4,000...putting CUCV nut low with his 02. Unless I have it wrong, it should indicate tonnage for your gross weight. Glen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks