• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 shifter

TedO

I am having trouble with my shifter. Something seems loose in the steering column, and I cant get the transmission to go into park. It only gets to reverse when the shifter is in the park position. Nothing wrong with the linkage in the hood and by the transmission. The problem seems to be in the steering column. Anybody else have this problem?

cucvrus

Are you sure the nut on the bell crank is not slipping. That shifter mechanism is a crude set up. I am thinking the bolt on the bell lock is slipping. Disconnect the rod and see if you have the correct clicks in the column shifter.

nyoffroad

Isn't there a plastic bushing in bracket mounted to the frame that the shift rod pivots in? I seem to remember some being like that and I think there might have been a spring in there too, but then again I can't remember ____ anymore.

cucvrus

DSCF6949.jpgDSCF6947.jpgDSCF6948.jpgDSCF6935.jpgDSCF6936.jpgDSCF6940.jpgDSCF6941.jpgDSCF6942.jpgI found these pictures in my Terminus M1009 thread I posted these 5/21/2016. I like to use up all the paint I have around the shop. I get it from little projects I get involved in. Good Luck. I think it is linkage related. Happy Holidays. happy.jpg

TedO

Are you sure the nut on the bell crank is not slipping. That shifter mechanism is a crude set up. I am thinking the bolt on the bell lock is slipping. Disconnect the rod and see if you have the correct clicks in the column shifter.

Yes, you are right. The large nut holding the whole thing on to the side of the transmission was very loose. I didnt see that at first. Tightened it up, and good as new. Glad the whole thing didnt fall off. Thanks!!

cucvrus

indexgrinch smiling..jpgAs a good measure I would pull back on rhe spring and nylon pivot point and pack a little wheel bearing grease in that bracket pocket on the frame. Good Luck, Glad I could help out. You can learn a lot from a Dummy. Happy Holidays.