• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Tailgate / Endgate Latch Assembly - reinstallation?

MaximumBob

Still working on my M1008 - not running yet, but for a reason [the logic behind the "reason" currently escapes me] I decided to do some of the body work first. It needed a new hood and tailgate ("endgate" in military speak) - replacements were easily found on lmctruck.com.

Hood was easy. Tailgate hinges had to be adjusted and straightened - old tailgate was smacked pretty hard - most likely when the gate was open. Endgate now fits perfectly (for a 22-year-old truck) and I'm about to install the new latch handle and latches.

Question: Is there a trick to reinstalling the latches and latch handle? Is it easier to: (a) install the latches with the latch rods and then work the latch rod ends into the loose latch handle (located in the center of the tailgate) or (b) do you install the rods on the handle and somehow snake the ends of the latch rods into the individual latches on each side of the gate?

If you've done this before, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob in Florida

CCATLETT1984

RE: M1008 Tailgate / Endgate Latch Assembly - reinstallation

its a PITA, i did it on mine. best way is to attach the rods to the end latches and feed them into the tailgate. then you kinda just move the handle around in the hole until you get the rods to line up with there respective holes. one piece of advice is to spray some silicone lube or wd40 on the rubber grommets that the rods go into on the handle makes it much easier to press them in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks