• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 axle swap questions!

Redneck92

Hello guys,

Since my front axle got the wrong gear ratio in it and my rear axle got a bad pinion bearing I´m looking forward to swap axles in my M1009.

Im planning on using the Dana 60 front and GM 14 Bolt rear axles from an M1008.

Does anyone of you have experience with this swap?

What do I need to think of when it comes to steering?

Do I need to mess with the mounting at the rear axle?

The perches on the rear axle need to be weldet with a narrower width rigt?

Im planning on using a complete M1008 truck as a donor vehicle.

Greetings and thanks ahead

Redneck

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The front axle will bolt right in. You will need to use the spring plates and brake lines from the Oh8. The rear will need the spring perches moved out (wider) and new shock mounts. Another consideration will be the rear driveshaft. You will need to have a new yoke installed or use a combination ujoint. You will need wider spring plates for the rear as well. 3/4 ton stuff would be best for that. The axle tube is wider and even with new ubolts, its a pain to pinch them together for the narrower stock spring plates.

Redneck92

Sounds pretty good.

At first I considered to use a combination U-Joint. If the axles are in the truck, Im going to do a SYE upgrade on the transfercase and build a double cardan telescopic driveshaft for the rear.

Standart GM 10 Bolt U-Joints are 3R series or 1310s and the GM 14 bolt uses 1350 style U-Joints am I right? Please correct me if not.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is correct on Ujoints. The SYE is a great upgrade on the M1009, especially if you plan to lift it at all.

Russm

Recently finished the same swap on my 1009.
My rear shaft-axle "stock" u joint is a 3R-1350 conversion joint. Drove me crazy until i got it right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks