• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 cost of ownership

Usmc 2146

I have a 2000 Chevrolet C2500(old body style). I love my truck but given the current economy (mainly gas prices) I have had to do some thinking. My truck is 2wd with a 350 in it and I have to fill it up once a week. My wife and I have a son and (Lord willing) we'd like to have more kids. I have been considering a M1009 for a while, but have a few questions. I am in school and trying to get back into the Marine Corps (reserves this time) and working part time. When I get back into the Marine Corps, I will have to travel approximately 2 1/2 - 3 hrs for drill.
My questions were regarding the cost of ownership of a M1009. I know that they have the 6.2's in them. 1 question I had was on fuel cost. Most diesel engines are more fuel efficient than gasoline engines but you pay more at the pump. The way I figure is that even though diesel is more expensive than gas, you fill up less so do you break even or come ahead? I would also like to know any other cost differences.
I am not looking to go off road, the on trying I'd do to it other than the necessary is put a radio/ CD player and CB in it.
Here is what I do know:
-my dad has an '87 GMC Vandura w/ a 6.2 in it and thought it is slow you could pull a house down with it.
-if he goes above 55mph I'd drinks fuel like it's going out of style, but even with a massive fuel leak he can get about 19 mpg all around (as long as he keeps it under 55)
-there is a guy that comes into work with a '85 Suburban 4wd with a 6.2 in it and can get about 19mpg highway doing 80mph
I need to get any information I can so that me and my wife can make the best decision possible

Any help would greatly be appreciated
Thanks SEMPER FI

ryan77

Its a 25 year old truck ive owned 5 of them every one has been a money pit? When you get one plan on spending a grand changing batteries, alt,starter,belts,hoses,fluids, seals etc,etc,etc..............2cents

ryan77

No they're good trucks once you get the gremlins out, Easy to work on plenty of help on here to help you!!! Lots of guys on here who will come over for pizza and beer and help you fix it up!!!:razz:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had excellent luck with the one I had. Spent very little on improvements, batteries, belts, rebuilt alt, and shocks.
Good runner right from the start. Averaged about 20 hwy and 15 city. Sold it because I didn't drive it much after the first 18 months.

Keep in mind, they are noisy!

67_C-30

Maybe I've been lucky, but I mine has been great. I have been driving 6.2 trucks for years, but this was my first CUCV. I bought mine from Gov Liquidation at Warner Robins AFB for $1305, and all I've done is put batteries in it ($300) and tires. I've put 10,600 miles on it since Jun of last year, and I would drive it anywhere.

Smokingman

I picked up my first 1009 a few months back.Since I have replaced an alternator,bearings,relay,glow plug card,tires,shocks,universals,belts,fluids,rebuilt the transmission,glow plugs,batteries,headlights,turn signal relay,fuel filter,most rubber lines,plenty of electrical wire,sway bar bushings,did the doghead mod,wipers,and still have some work to do.

All that said it is a very reliable truck at this point that I would take anywhere.

Total cost at this point is roughly $4500.00

I still need to do some body work,springs,radio install,weather stripping,some floor mod(to insulate and reduce noise),rear tire carrier(exterior in the works),and paint.I have acquired some spare parts.I have a set of glow plugs,starter,power steering pump,and a few other miscellaneous parts.

If you have the time and money to set up an M1009 and get it back in proper condition to be safe and reliable,I think it is a great vehicle.

Usmc 2146

as far as the noise goes when i was in the Marine Corps i rode around in an M88 A2 HERCULES so noise can't be any worse than that if nothing else I can get a com helmet setup :lol:

Bravo2Uniform

Middle of the Road Cost

My experience has been middle of the road cost wise.

I got a pretty good deal on my M1009 but I had the fever and paid a little too much. D'OH!

My major malfunction that cost me so much money was the starter. I sheared off a bolt while out of town, had it fixed (incorrectly). Sheared off another bolt while wife was out of town, had it fixed at a truck stop (incorrectly, hugely expensive). Finally, I had the sense to get READ THE TM and got my stuff together. I still had to have a mechanic fix the starter again as I now had much damage to my flywheel (very expesnive). If I had fixed the starter with a dang $3.00 bracket when I got it, I would have saved much, much, much money. Learning lesson: Read Steel Soldiers like crazy and get intimate with the TM or pay a mechanic through the nose.

I have since been doing most of my repairs and maintenance using the TM and Steel Soldiers. The cost has been much more manageable. If you are reasonably handy you can work on these vehicles. The TM is designed for Corporal Buttplate and Private Foxhole to understand...I am not a mechanic at all and I understand it. I am now about 15, 000 miles without a major repair or breakdown. Mine is a daily driver. I took her on a 4.5 hour one way trip this weekend, burned no oil, etc.

I am slowly replacing all the gaskets, rubber, and rebuilding parts as I get the money. Mine had neverr been issued into service and was in very good shape (it had been used and driven, though). I think a lot rides on how good of a vehicle you get. I would rather pay more and get a solid one than do like my buddy did and get a cheap one that needed a bunch of repair just to get it moving.

I don't think parts are all that hard to find except the starter. Everything else is usually avaivalble at Napa or other parts stores.

I would think that sooner or later, your 2500 is going to need a serious repair or have a major breakdown.

You have to also figure in the cool factor. Big time cool factor with the M1009.

Last edited:

SGT LongT

Make friends with the SGT in charge of the Motor Pool and the rest of the mechanics..don't forget the :beer: I'm not saying you will get a motor swap out of it but the little things here and there add up 2cents In the military it is called "acquiring" or "re-utilization" ;-)

That being said the most money I have put into my m1009 has been fuel (19mpg). So far it has been little things here and there, and I do all the work myself. I am using it as my daily driver after driving around a 2002 Chevy Cavalier for the last 10 yrs and couldn't be happier :-o

1984M1009

I have only put 600 miles on my M1009 since I have owned it if I drove it as much as I did my duramax it would cost more monthly to keep it running than the payment is on the Duramax. It has not been drivable 3/4 of the time I have owned it and I am sorry to say it is a POS and I don't recommend one as a DD. Not to mention the inconvience of it breaking down all the time if it is a vehicle you depend on

Last edited:

Midnight Rider

I use mine as a daily driver, having said that. There have been times where I have had to borrow one of my parent's vehicles to go to work because the 1009 was down for the count.

Most of my down time has been when my wife isn't working. She's a school teacher, so in the summer I could use her Jeep instead of borrowing from someone else.

I think I have been pretty lucky with it running. So far only major replacement costs have been new tires and a new radiator.

If you don't have help around or have access to a spare vehicle in the event the 1009 breaks down, then I would avoid it.

ryan77

If you want a reliable vehicle buy a Toyota Camry!! If you want a totally awesome war wagon that can split a Camry in Half buy a m1009!!!!!!!!!! I drove these when i was in the Airforce 15 years ago and they broke down always! We used to call them "Sh&t shakers"!!!!2cents2cents:p

JB

I drove my first one for years until we had kids. The wife did not want the babies to go without air conditioning. Otherwise the two i had were good trucks. The usual batteries an occaisional alternator and the freaking rearview mirror falling off the windshield werethe only real issues. That said i'd stick twith your existing vehicle based on what you have said.

Barrman

When or if you buy one. Plan on replacing all brake moving parts, brake hoses, belts, hoses, batteries, light bulbs, tires, oils, filters, starter, u-joints and at least rebuilding one alternator. Call it $1000. This is because the truck will be at least 25 years old and things rot/wear out over time. You can roll the dice and figure the military did good maintenance so you don't have to worry about it for a while.

What if the one you buy has been sitting un touched for the last 18 years in an open air shed? You probably will have to replace all the items listed in the first 5000 miles of driving. Your choice is to do them at home at your pace or on the road at someone elses cost and pace.

Plan for a $500 Injection pump rebuild sometime in the first 10000 miles as well. They seem to be good for about 15 years.

Or, you could pay a little more for one that has already been privately owned and had all the parts replaced. The old pay now or pay later debate.

However, once you get all that done. You will find it to be a great vehicle. 20 mpg if you stay below 65 mph, very dependable and fun to drive. I prefer to drive mine instead of the 2000 family Suburban. Except in this insanely hot summer we are having down here this year. But, I also daily drove a M715 with no top for 3 years. So, I might not be the best reference in that regard.

There are litterally thousands of them out there. Probably a half dozen or more members of this site with some within a few hours of you too. Be patient, go visit people, drive them, look around and one will show up. Make the trip down o the GA Rally and be totally immersed in the green iron world.

Then their is the cost to drive arguements. Diesel around here is about $.20 more than gasoline per gallon. That is about 5-8%. 20 mpg compared to the 12-15 your gas 2500 is getting is a lot more than 8%. Now, as diesel goes down that cost difference increase in percentage until it isn't as much of a savings.

I have been invited to go spend a week at a ski resort for Christmas in CO. 1200 miles away. My first thought was the 1009 would be perfect for that trip since the heater works great. However, the fuel savings would be less than $100 in the 1009 compared to the Suburban with both fuels being $4.00. Along with the fact that it would add an extra 4 hours to my drive time if I stuck to 65 mph in the 1009 and went the 70 and 75 mph speed limit in the Suburban. That translates into an extra meal or two on the road for the family which just about cuts the money savings in half if not more depending on where we eat.

It comes down to a judgement call on your part because the numbers can be made to make either choice valid. Just going to drill and back, I would take the advice some post up and get a Civic, throw some tires on it and drive. Future family beach trip, moutain camping, Scout vehicle and the 1009 is perfect.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks