• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 GA to FL

SGT LongT

I have finally joined the MV ranks and am now the proud parent of a M1009:-D. I bought her from GoldComet6 in GA and drove her back to FL.:driver: Did not have any major issues during the trip, but I did notice a few minor things. There was only one bulb working behind the speedo/fuel gauge so only 55mph and over was visible at night. Also, the speedo likes to jump around between 55mph and 75mph so my speed was determined by my brother driving in front of me during the trip. I have her home and have taken apart the dash and gauge cluster to replace lights and clean everything. Surprise!!! I find sand in every nook/cranny/crack/crevice/hole you can think of. This MV has definitely been playing in the sand, but not sure if it was NTC or Iraq/Afghanistan. The M1009 was painted tan at some point too. I plan on doing the doghead mod today and will continue with other project ideas I have picked up thanks to this site;-).

Attachments

Whitey

Welcome to the '09 club! You'll enjoy it for sure. As far as sand, I vaccume mine out and have grime and grit appear as soon as it goes out on the road. Also, don't forget to do the Doghead starter relay. Enjoy! :driver:

K9Vic

Nice M1009, they are allot of fun to drive especially in the snow and off road.

As for the speedometer jumping, mine does that and I use a GPS for my speed so I do not go too fast. I need to watch my speed because it really is one of those vehicles that the cops notice. Been followed a few times, but probably just because it is old and it was always late at night.

The starter relay is a must and very easy to do.

davidkroberts

nice recovery, I've liked every m1009 Ive ever owned. The starter relay is a must with a manual Glow-plug button a close second. Great trucks, probably the most useful, reliable, daily-driverable military vehicle IMHO

GoldComet6

Wow...you didn't waste anytime getting to work on it!! :jumpin:
Glad the return trip went well and you're having fun with it already. I'm sure when I see all the improvements you make, I'll be jealous...... :drool:

I found a very fine sand on the back of the door panels too when I took them off to sand them. It was similiar to a powder...

Last edited:

SGT LongT

Uploading some pics of the dash and instrument panel. Since I had everything off I went ahead and tried some Tan upholstery paint from a rattle can and I like the results. Also competed the doghead starter mod :D

Attachments

GoldComet6

Uploading some pics of the dash and instrument panel. Since I had everything off I went ahead and tried some Tan upholstery paint from a rattle can and I like the results. Also competed the doghead starter mod :D
Where did the trim piece come from on the passenger side of the dash? Was it underneath the brown dash cover?

I had thought about removing the dash cover and painting it too. Looks nice! :)

Last edited:

SGT LongT

I removed the dash cover and painted it with the tan upholstery paint just like the instrument face. It isn't too pretty, but with the tan it at least matches and it is no longer padded. Over the glove box it reads "Custom Deluxe" so I am guessing it isn't the original.