• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Glow plugs

taylordm14

I am pretty new to the whole MV thing, but I have been reading on the forums here for a couple weeks. I have a question for all you experienced guys out there.

I have a set of AC60G glow plugs that I want to change out in my M1009, I am wondering if it is easier to change out the glow plug connectors to fit the AC60's or to shave down the spades on the glow plugs.

Either way, what is the best way to shave off the spades (grind down, cut off, or shave with a file, etc.)

And if it is easier to change out the connections, is there a specific type of connector needed, or can it be any type of spade connection?

Thanks for all the help!

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is fairly easy to change the connectors, but leave the wires original and shave the GP terminals down. Use a hand file, Dremel tool, or some other grinder. Take your time and file off the burrs.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I prefer to install new 1/4"insulated female blade terminals. This way you get nice new clean terminals, and they will still work with the narrow bladed GPs if you go back to them.

I would recomend you also change your GP relay supply voltage to 12 volts, to eliminate the "domino" effect the stock CUCV has when one GP burns out or has a bad connection.

Also, if you haven't done it yet, do the "doghead relay conversion", for the starter relay(under the dash). Do it now and never worry about ruining your starter, fusible links or wiring.

These are just my personal prefrences.2cents

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would recomend the AC 60G Glow Plugs. They should be available at a local retailer.

Just be aware, only the military surplus and Wellmans have the correct stock terminal blade width, for the stock wiring in the CUCV.