• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Hard Start - No Start

DieselFanatic

Hello, I am having some issues with my 09. I just replaced the glow plugs, and the glow plug relay is working. My wait to start light stays on after cycling the glow plugs and also multiple times of cranking. The second the wait to start light turns off, it starts right up. On initial cold starts, there is a big puff of black smoke out of the tail pipe. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

IMG_0007.jpeg

Barrman

I’m confused by your description. I got the new glow plugs part.

When you turn on the key the glow plug relay clicks, the glow light comes on but stays on more than 25-30 seconds?

At some point the light turns off and the truck starts right up then, correct?

Are you pushing the throttle pedal about half way down when you turn on the ignition and then letting go of the pedal to enable the fast idle solenoid to hold the throttle about 7-8% open? That really does help on cold starts.

Black smoke on start up means too much fuel. Are you holding the throttle open?

Oily white smoke on start up is at least 1 cold and not yet firing fully cylinder.