• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 PVC snorkel I hadn't seen it done in PVC so here it is for everyone else

Rich Johnson

Forgive me for asking this, but what is the point of making a snorkel if our trucks arent capable of "Deep water fording"? I read in the manual that they can only do something like 24 inches of water.

Are they really capable of going deeper as is with just a snorkel kit, just not written in the manual?
That would be really cool. Ive forded my M37 down the road during a flood one time right after I got my fording kit.

Westech

CPL
I think his main point was not sucking in a bunch of water in the air filter due to the fan splashing water in to the engine bay. Really any truck can take a quick dunk but if you get water in to the intake that 6.2 will explode. Yes the elictrical system can not take a good soaking (in cab parts) but a quick non flooding splash will be fine.... look at this youtube vid... guess who it is....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COKcnL0JfOE[/media]

Marschmallow

you never know what to expect when wheeling, in the north at least, wheeling environments are not controlled, you do not pay entrance fees, and you never know how deep the water is, I try to build my vehicle capable of all situations I might encounter, and I do encounter. There are no bypass trails, and no spotters, unless you can get your wife to get out( mine usually wont)
I'll be sure to post some pics and vid's from upcoming adventures.

Last edited:

Marschmallow

the 5/32" hole is needed to rid entering rain water, commercially sold snorkel kits that face foward will have to be able to rid themselves of the same...
a piece of tape covers a hole easily.
Remember,
A snorkel can only reduce your risk of water damage when driving in deep water. Not driving in deep water is the only way to eliminate the risk entirely

Rich Johnson

In the M series vehicles, typically a snorkel wasnt permanently attached, and it was, it had the litte breather mushroom cap on the top to keep rain etc out.

laplander

Is there a reason why everyone routes the snorkel on the outside? Wouldn't it be possible to let it surface behind the hood, in the area under the front window? Would be easier to make a height adjustable snorkel (hummer style)
Don't like the idea of pvc either, when it's freezing and you hit something, well.. anything, it will break. Did a snorkel job on my LR defender once in PE (geberit) solid as a rock and if you want you can make it look like it was made out of one piece.

Scarecrow1

I for one think you have a great mind and have proved it . I am torn between the die hard keep it real, and the any way you can guys........In this day and time any dollar saved and the mission completed is pretty darn rare . So I say great job, you can be proud of your work

Marschmallow

I gave a good hard look at the firewall as a routing option, I just didn't know, and was trying not to obstruct the drivers view,( Illeagal in Maine) I do agree on the cold temperature issue, I don't think I gave it any thought. most of the reason I used PVC was the price and availability, ease of construction, not to mention my welders are currently in another state 1200 miles away. other web sites recommended using abs pipe, which I do not know where to get, but nothing is permanant, it can always be changed when it breaks, and yes, when I am ready, I can see myself fabbing up the exterior portion with thin wall exhaust tubing, or abs pipe if I can find where to get it, but at this point I have had time to experiment on the look, design, and driveability. Plus I have helped countless others decide for themselves too. [thumbzup]

laplander

I'm pretty sure there are several people you've helped. you've gone through the effort of fabbing up stuff instead of just buy and bolt on, and you didn't do it in a hurry. One can allways disagree on used materials or looks, but that's what forums are for. I know how many hours and sleepless nights go into custom work. If this was a harley forum you'd be a hero

12vctd

So let me get this straight, because he used PVC he is disrespecting his MV? By making a mod that if which i cant get the pics to load either, is functional and allows him to use his vehicle in the fashion that he wants then I guess he is wrong. IF his setup allows him to traverse deep water crossings that he could not before and he does this type of thing, does that not improve performance? You speak of saving up hundreds of dollars, I can easily point you to many american manufactures that produce spings here in the US instead of going to a used spring to save money and have american iron. You can pay companies like Alcan springs (who make a kick ass product BTW) to make the 52's you choose to run. But I bet you prefer to save a few bucks by using good springs and recycling instead of wasting you money. And I do know the added reasons most run a 52's spring in the front as I have run them many times, and I agree with you choice, I simply am saying so he went cheap, used 52's are a cheap but effective suspension mod whats the difference?

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
JC!?!?! What a hole...... about the only thing good is the super walmart.
I think the point was it PVC looks Cheap. It does and everyone knows it. I for one don't give a poo on what is done to any MV... its the owners choice. I for one would not use PVC where you can see the joints.. but if it works it works. Is there such thing as a GM stamped cucv? lol that will toss the Jeep nuts in a furry.

coyotegray

:rant:

I just have a few points to make..

#1. One of the first things I learned at my "A" School was "Improvise, adapt and overcome". We would follow the TM, policy, rules, whatever up to the point they stopped working and the problem could not be solved and then we would get creative. Sometime the correct item was not available or we didn't have the tools or facilities to do it the official way..So, my opinion is that his improvised snorkel, given his requirements of function and cost, although imperfect, is a valid solution.

If you have a problem with improvising, tell it to Sergeant Curtis G. Culin..

#2. To the MV snobs.. Get over yourself.. Only in your fantasy world and the world of most "Butter Bars" is the "official" way the only way..

12vctd

I agree Westechit has its up and downs in this town, but I enjoy KS so far and I had my reasons for moving here, and hope to actually move later to a outlying area. As far as the looks of PVC, I cant even see what it looks like, there was talk of buying a kit that was made properly thats why i chimed in. I gues my attraction to the CUCV as a cheap vehicle from the start is why I enjoy them. They are very basic and capable rigs which are fun for me to drive.

Last edited:

WARWAG

:rant:

I just have a few points to make..

#1. One of the first things I learned at my "A" School was "Improvise, adapt and overcome". We would follow the TM, policy, rules, whatever up to the point they stopped working and the problem could not be solved and then we would get creative. Sometime the correct item was not available or we didn't have the tools or facilities to do it the official way..So, my opinion is that his improvised snorkel, given his requirements of function and cost, although imperfect, is a valid solution.

If you have a problem with improvising, tell it to Sergeant Curtis G. Culin..

#2. To the MV snobs.. Get over yourself.. Only in your fantasy world and the world of most "Butter Bars" is the "official" way the only way..

FEW! Man I am sure glad you posted. I was starting to think I wouldnt be welcome here after I rebuild one of my MVs. Im not entering any vehicle into The Concours Delegaunce!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks