• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 stereo install

SGT Estum

Well, I've been avoiding this for some time now but I'm finally fed up with driving around without tunes. I picked up a standard sized Clarion AM/FM/CD/MP3/USB head unit on amazon for about $50. I hate to hack up my truck to install this thing in the conventional location, but that's about the best I can come up with.

The immediate question is: does anybody have advice on tools/techniques to enlarge the factory radio cut-out? If I'm going to do this I'd like to not make it look like a total hack-job. I was thinking something like this would give me good control when doing my cutting: Nibbling Cutter .

Also, if anybody has done an install in this location before how did you mount the DIN sleeve in there? That is, what did you attach it to like on the sides?

Any advice appreciated.

(Yes, I searched but I couldn't find anyone talking about how they enlarged the factory radio cut-out.)

Midnight Rider

I used a hacksaw and a sawzall (reciprocating saw). I cut out the top and bottom around where the knobs for the stereo would go. Then I just bent the back.

Next I took 2 or 3 thin pieces of metal and pop-riveted them to the stereo bracket. I then used sheetmetal screws to hold those pieces of metal to the dash. I bent the ends at a 90 degree angle. It ain't the prettiest install ever, but the truck isn't exactly a beauty queen to begin with. So it works for me.

That was the basics for me. There was some fine tuning to get it to fit right.

I followed a thread or a link to, I think it was AJMBlazer or something like that. He had a site that described his installation.

I think this is the link.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/364830/1986-chevrolet-c-k-pick-up/page-2

CROM

I left the original radio hole blank after I pulled it. I plan on installing my winch, off-road light controls, ect. there. I sawz-alled a hole in the dash and installed my cd player just above the ash trash. Since I wheel alot, I installed a piece of 2x4 with a piece of foam rubber glued to the top of the ash tray frame for the radio to rest on (made it fit very snug). This way my radio isn't bobbing around with no support.

A good metal blade and some proper prep work (measuring/cleaning) and it will look nice. The holding bracket that comes with your radio will hide your chop marks.

Good luck!

Last edited:

CROM

Also...My M1009 didn't come with the cab speaker housing thing, so I installed bigger speakers up front on both sides in the original holes. Tight work, but if you're creative you can make it work!

southdave

:ditto:
Also...My M1009 didn't come with the cab speaker housing thing, so I installed bigger speakers up front on both sides in the original holes. Tight work, but if you're creative you can make it work!
it wasn't that bad, hack a hole into it I also had to get a new windshield. I found a good with the anntenna in the glass. is why I mounted it there besides it just dead space there it look imho also I have my satelite thingy mount inside there with the blue toooth thingy. thank god for pawn shops lol

SGT Estum

I decided to install in the dash where the military radio mounting bracket was. The dash was already all hacked up here for the brackets and I didn't feel comfortable resizing the black plastic instrument cluster face plate -- it seems that all that plastic is old and brittle. Also, as mentioned, that slot could be used for gages or switches or other accessories.

I ran to Harbor Freight and picked up those nibblers because I wasn't confident that I could sawzall out a good looking hole. I don't know how I lived life without these nibblers! They are a slow tool, but very very cool. It allowed me to cut nice straight lines but it turns out I had to bust out the sawzall anyway for a section in curved steel that I couldn't nibble out.

The hole was a little bit undersized on the right hand side so I nibbled some more (did I mention this tool is f'in sweet?) until I could barely wedge in the DIN bracket. When I got it in, I test fitted the head unit and popped the dash pad back on over it -- depth was fine and it was only slightly off level. I decided to avoid my OCD since this is a surplus MV, not a Cadillac.

I bent the tabs on the bracket and it seems pretty stable. I'll see what I can do about fitting some wood between the ash tray and the head unit as suggested -- I like the extra support idea.

Pictures coming shortly...

ryan77

I think im going to go with a universal radio mount that goes under the dash!! Autozone has them!! For now i just listen to the music in my head!!! Along with the voices!!

Midnight Rider

Next steps are to install this antenna: Universal Window-mount Antenna AM/FM replacement antenna at Crutchfield.com

Also I think I'm going to put in a toggle switch to toggle a +12V line to the head unit's "ignition on" wire. That way I can turn on the radio while the truck is off, since my ignition only has RUN and START. I'll power the antenna directly off of this too.
I've got something similar to that in my 1009. If it comes with the 3M sticky tape stuff to stick to the windshield, DON'T use it. Go get some of that glue to hold the rearview mirror on and use that. That 3M stuff lasted about a day, then it got really hot outside and the antenna fell off.

I didn't think the CUCV's had the antennas in the windshield either. No radio, so why put in a windshield with an antenna in it. I'm pretty sure that if it has an antenna in the windshield, you can see it.

mikegoobs

I put a nice 6.1 inch pioneer stereo with nav built in on my m1009. I put it Where the vents would be on the dash(my dash is from a civilian Blazer).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks