• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101, a1, a2, a3

Is there any real features of the M101 trailers that specifically make them A1, A2 or A3 ? (Other than the name plate)
I am seeing alot of trailers called A? that do not seem to fit the bill.

Here is a trailer in the classifieds that is listed as: M101A2 3/4 ton trailer, very good condition.
Others on GL have A3 beds and A2 gear. Some with different surge brakes than others or different tire/wheel packages.

I am in process of getting a few of these trailers and would like to educate myself on the actual differences.

Attachments

Last edited:

xm708

m101

I believe the m101 originally had the m37 wheels with no brakes. The m101a1 was probably when they came out with the chevy 8 lug wheels and surge brakes from there I am not sure on a2 and a3's though.

xm708

m101

The trailer pictured has no brakes from what I can see so I would say it is an m101 with a m101a1 nameplate or body on it.

Metternacht

Yes, the trailers all have specific alterations that make them an A1 A2 or A3.

A1 first variant from the original spec. Has locking ring wheels and lug pattern of the Old Dodge power wagons M37's. No surge brakes.

A2 second variant has an 8 lug axle and shares tires and wheels with the CCUV's Basically Chevy / GM trucks that were tasked with towing them . Has surge Brakes.

A3 Third Variant. Has lug pattern and wheel track that matches the HMMWV. The Axle is wider Has Surge Brakes and A slightly wider Box I believe.

Some trailers May have had axles changed but not Boxes so you have an A3 axle but an A2 box.

There are several other threads on this site that detail the differences better and a search can pull them up I am sure. Also download the Manual from the resources area for detailed info on the differences.

I am sure I missed some of the details.

-M

There are several other threads on this site that detail the differences better and a search can pull them up I am sure. Also download the Manual from the resources area for detailed info on the differences.

I am sure I missed some of the details.

-M
Yeah, I did search (this is not my first day in the school yard) and I have checked the M116 TMs, but I was looking for general observations from the members here.

Metternacht

Wasn't trying to be disrespectful just thorough. My M101A1 has the old rims, no brakes and original size bed with wooden slats and bows. I have seen A2's with the surge brakes some come with the newer sides and bows made of fiberglass, I haven't seen many A3's, I believe except for the A3 box changes the biggest difference is the Axle and brakes. The A1 hand brakes are 2 straight handles on each front corner in line with the wheels. while the original 101 has 2 curved handles in the center parallel to the front of the box. I also believe the A3 axle uprates the load to 1 ton vs 3/4 ton. I would surmise that you could end up with trailers with a mix of parts as upgrades were done. A1/2 box and sides with A3 axle etc.

Also they introduced a crank up front landing leg at some point. I think it was the A2. This is handy if you need to hook up the trailer while it is loaded. Dead lifting the front is a real pain. Some use a jack to do it if they don't have the crank landing leg.

I have the 101/A1/A2 TM and can post it once I get home.

Hope that helps.

-M

Last edited:

CGarbee

A1 first variant from the original spec. Has locking ring wheels and lug pattern of the Old Dodge power wagons M37's. No surge brakes.

....snipped....

-M
Yep, I've got a long post somewhere here that describes the differences between the M101 and the M101A1 that are in my backyard. There is another one that details my M101A2...

One easy to spot difference between a M101 and a M101A1 is that the earlier trailer had the "squeeze" type parking brake handles that moved in an arc parallel to the front bed panel, the M101A1 has the "flip" type parking brake handles that move in an arc perpendicular to the front bed panel (flip toward the towing vehicle when you apply the brakes).

They are handy trailers to have around...

Oldfart

One thing that has not been mentioned as a difference is the tail lights. My M101 purchased from a local surplus house way back in 1968 has a single tail/stop light on the left rear with a BO marker light on the right. That matches my 1953 M37. Also, my M101 does not have a rear stabilizer leg like all the rest of the variants. My son purchased a 1956 M105 from GL several months ago and besides the big landing leg wheel, it too has only a single tail/brake light with a BO marker on the other side. I am trying to swap him one of the newer M105's I just picked up from GL because the old trailer is a perfect match for the M220 deuce I just got. I was wondering how to handle the newer turn signal trailers without modifying the old deuce. Now I just have to make a deal.

CGarbee

I didn't mention the lights or the rear prop leg since I have found them to have been changed/replaced/upgraded/swapped (whatever you want to call it) on so many of the trailers... Half of the M101's that I have purchased over the years had the newer composit lights with LED's in them (just the blackout portion the rest was still incandescent bulbs...).

Sounds like you have a nice pair of trailers (once you make that swap with your son) to go along with the trucks Oldfart. I'd love to see photos of the complete combinations if you get a chance.

buffalocody

the amount of rust

The axle/wheel difference is the ticket. You can almost cross match with the wheel interechange of the latest towing vehicle when produced. The frames are almost standard and the bed is basic unchanged.

Metternacht

I see what you mean. Did you check out this link also?
M101 TRAILER, CARGO, 3/4 TON.

Sometimes I wonder if these sites get the pictures labels right.

They have the 4th and 5th pic labeled as an A2 but it looks like an A1 with newer tires on it to me. No surge brakes, and bud type wheels.

I am not an expert but seems to me like some of that conflicts with what I have read here and elsewhere.

I think the key is the Axle and lug pattern to determine the type and that still leaves room for confusion as an A1 trailer upgraded with an A3 type Axle without the surge brakes will be head scratcher for type designation. Isn't MV typing fun. One Motor pool field expedient repair/Mod and you have a odd ball piece of EQ :-D Kind of like a good old fashioned Kitbash.

Any way, when I decide to Buy a second M101 (What i need with a second M101 is beyond me) I would look for one with the 8 Lug Chevy Axle for easier maintenance of the bearings, hubs and tires. One piece rims with available civilian replacement options. The Surge brakes are great for controlling a loaded trailer and preventing it from pushing the tow vehicle around. A crank up Landing leg is another good addition. Rear leg is nice but not necessary IMHO depending on planned use.

I will now get down of the soapbox.

I hope some of this has helped.

-M

Oldfart

CGarbe asked about pictures - I can't find any of my old M101, but I do have a few handy of my recent M105 purchase. I have a photo of one of the M332's my son got last December and the M1061 he picked up at the same time. I was surprised the 1956 M105 came as original as almost everything I see on surplus now has been converted to newer turn signal lights. I was really surprised the 1956 M220 that I just bought was not converted over either. (It had been converted to silicon brake fluid and a couple of other upgrades, however.)

Fort carson M105 recovery 013.jpg M105's I just bought from GL

Memorial day Parade, Commerce City 2010 040.jpg Two on the left are a couple of my son's trucks

Memorial day Parade, Commerce City 2010 047.jpg 5 ton dump with a make believe tank trailer

Memorial day Parade, Commerce City 2010 048.jpg Deuce with single tires and M332 ammo tlr

M220 additional photos 037.jpg My new deuce parked with my son's larger trucks

Last edited:

badassissimo

Aside from A1, 2, and 3; what is the difference between 101 and 105? Is it just the manufacturer that makes the difference between 101 and 105? Thanks.

Nick

CGarbee

Aside from A1, 2, and 3; what is the difference between 101 and 105? Is it just the manufacturer that makes the difference between 101 and 105? Thanks.

Nick
A M101 series trailer is a 3/4 ton trailer. Depending on varient, it either has no service brakes, or it has surge brakes.

A M105 series trailer is a 1.5 ton trailer with air over hydraulic service brakes.

Just to make things real interesting, there is a Canadian M101 as well that is a 1/4 ton trailer similar to the US M416.

Thanks for posting the photos Oldfart.
I have photos on my website of a M101 that I used to own, a M101A1 that I still own and will be putting up photos this weekend of a pair of M101A2's that I just pulled into the yard. They should help folks with the identification of the two varients. I also have photos of the other trailers that have been in the yard at one time or another.

Last edited:

Chief_919

Nick
A 105 is larger than a 101, made to go behind 2.5 ton vehicles and larger.

Here is what I have seen from personal observation-

101- parking brakes only, M37 wheels, old style park brake handles.
101A1- parking brakes only, M37 wheels, new style park brake handles
101A2- 8 lug axle and surge brakes. Usually has CUCV wheels, but can be seen with HMMWV wheels.
101A3- 3 lug axle, wider to match HMMWV track, has high ground clearance axle that is higher in the center, adjustable landing leg.

All these features have been mixed and matched at types in the motorpools...

Oldfart

I didn't mention the lights or the rear prop leg since I have found them to have been changed/replaced/upgraded/swapped (whatever you want to call it) on so many of the trailers... Half of the M101's that I have purchased over the years had the newer composit lights with LED's in them (just the blackout portion the rest was still incandescent bulbs...).

Sounds like you have a nice pair of trailers (once you make that swap with your son) to go along with the trucks Oldfart. I'd love to see photos of the complete combinations if you get a chance.
Some phots of the M105 as we rushed to get ready for an MV display at the Metro Air Show in Broomfield CO. My M220 was white for many years while in use at the Yuma Proving Grounds so we opted to keep it that way and make the M105 match the truck. The next step is to mount a generator in the M105 so we can power the M220 Shop Van Truck body and the air conditioners. Lots of work left, but we are making progress.

Attachments

badassissimo

Would a m105a3 be ok behind an m1009? I think I read a post that the height was different. I was planning on getting a hitch receiver mounted on the back anyway because I've read that the military pintles rip out at some weight variance. I figure a frame mounted hitch and then pintle bolt on would do the trick for heavier hauling if it came about. At the same time, I would just get a drop hitch and flip it to make the height match. Maybe not the best idea but I think it is somewhat better than the lincoln m101 idea thread. Thanks.

Nick

Chief_919

Would a m105a3 be ok behind an m1009? I think I read a post that the height was different. I was planning on getting a hitch receiver mounted on the back anyway because I've read that the military pintles rip out at some weight variance. I figure a frame mounted hitch and then pintle bolt on would do the trick for heavier hauling if it came about. At the same time, I would just get a drop hitch and flip it to make the height match. Maybe not the best idea but I think it is somewhat better than the lincoln m101 idea thread. Thanks.

Nick
Too heavy and too tall, even with a lunette flip and a riased reciever it would be too tall.

An M101 is great behind a 1009 witha receiver hitch.

badassissimo

Too heavy and too tall, even with a lunette flip and a riased reciever it would be too tall.

An M101 is great behind a 1009 witha receiver hitch.
Cool, I'll see if that's the way I want to go. The more load bearing axle would be an a3 correct? I would want a m101a3? Thanks.

Nick