• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 hard topped?

JB

Has anyone ever built a hard top for a M101 trailer? I am thinking of doing it to mine so I can secure the insides. Has anyone seen this done by the military? If so any pics please post them.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The military has a slide in insert for the M101. Don't have any pics but blythewoodjoe has one in SC.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
A lot of units made authorized (and unauthorized) modifications to vehicles and equipment.

I have a M105 that has the sides extended up, thin sheet metal put on the outside of the bows and the tarp extended to appear stock. There is a door and side pieces in the rear made out of expanded metal that can be locked to secure items inside.

You could prob do a similar build yourself.

Mike_Pop

The Canadian M101 usually has aluminum mesh sides and top. Very sturdy, strong enough to stand on. I love mine! I used the top on my M1009 as a roof rack.

Attachments

Wolf.Dose

I have seen here in Germany several trailers with "home made" hard tops, maily with maintanance platoons or units during my time at the German Army, when in contact with the partner units of the US Army. However, 30 years ago I did not take pictures of these trailer. I did not know by that time that I will some day be a member of the MV scene.
Most of these trailers the body was raised to the hight of the towing vehicle. These hard tops mainly where built from playwood and painted in the actual camo colours. The reason simply was to protect the contence of the trailer from sticky fingers.
By the way, also trucks were modified the same way. About 14 years ago I made a Deuce with an Army built playwood body with an interior hight of about 9 feet road legal for Germany.
I also have a picture in a book of a Dodge WC62 with a wooden house body from WWII.
Wolf
Motor vehicle expert, government recognized

JB

Thanks for all of the responses. I doubt I'll be able to afford the Amtech top and I would like to make sides and a roof to take on & off the existing side racks & bows. Will probably do something similar to mine like what Wolf mentioned seeing 30 years ago. As a side note a few years ago I saw some FLA NG M116 trailers modified with plywood sides during a runup to a hurricane prep staging here in Tallahassee a few years ago. No pics.:oops:

Thanks again

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The nice thing about M101s is the bed is nearly identical in size to a regular pickup truck. One of my M101s has a commercial steel topper (surplus) that has side doors. It works great as long as you don't need stand up head room.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the win. Wish I was near Texas, would of had competition on the bidding. What did you get it for?????
Bob.

820jeep

Because it was there! :-D The M-416 is to small a lot of times and the M-105 is just to big to pull with anything less than a duce. I set up at a lot the Gun Shows in Ft. Worth, this will make a great trailer for hauling items to the show. I am sure it will get used campimg. I hope it will look good behind the CUCV Blazer.:roll:

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wondered if anyone here one that one the bidding got too rich for me, that is the one with the doors only going to the top of the tail gate down at Hooks?
James G.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great score, glad to hear it might make it camping. Hopefully my turn is next. Enjoy!
Bob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks