• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 axles v/s M1008

50shooter

Howdy guys

I can't find specs on the M1010 that don't conflict with other sources. Does the M1008 and the M1010 have identical axles and lockers?
I'm looking to add a M1010 and maybe a M1028 to the motor pool if anyone has a nice one available in the midwest.

Thanks
Jason

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to TM 9-2320-289-34P, the 1010, 1008 & 1028 use the same axles.

area52

While they all use the front Dana 60 and rear Corporate 14 bolt from GM, the M1028 has a Trac-loc in the front, (limited slip) and the M1008 is an open differential. I am not sure what the M1010 has in the front axle. They all have rear Detroit lockers.

50shooter

Thanks guys, I was hopping the M1010 had a locker of some type. I'm impressed by how well the 1008 does in the timber and figure a front locker will only make my smile bigger.

tvguy

Thanks guys, I was hopping the M1010 had a locker of some type. I'm impressed by how well the 1008 does in the timber and figure a front locker will only make my smile bigger.
All the literature I've seen says the M1010 is open in the front. I had one a few years ago and it was definitely open.

Also, technically the Trac-Lock is a limited slip, unlike the rear Detroit which is a true locker.

Crash_AF

From the parts manuals, the only ones that came factory with a trac-lock in the front are the 1031 and 1028A1. Basically if it has a 205 transfer case, it has a trac-lock if it's still factory stock.

Later,
Joe

SmokeyDod

The M1010 (which is the "Ambulance" ) have "open" fronts. Maybe rmd is thinking of M1031 type chassis. You can tell if it has the Trac-Loc by unscrewing the front filler plug and look in the hole. You can see part of the "clutch pac" (you may have to turn one wheel while its jacked off ground. Also you can just jack it up with both front wheels off ground and turn your lockouts to lock position and then turn one wheel. If its got the trac-loc BOTH tires will turn same direction together. While someone is turning one wheel you can grab the other tire and even tho you can hold it still, you will feel the resistance of the "clutch-pac".

rnd-motorsports

You can not go off what you read. manuels are wrong quite often:-( m1010 is an ambulance I know that and a friend has one know checked yesterday and has a lsd in the front. also when they have a lsd in front there will be a tag on the upper right cover bolt if factory that states to use limited slip fluid only.

Last edited:

Crash_AF

Just because it has it now doesn't mean that it was delivered to the Army that way. If you want to verify whether your friend's 1010 had a LSD from the factory, look on the sticker in the glove box or on the driver's side inner fender and get the front axle code. Post it up here so we can determine if it was a LSD or open originally.

FWIW, I've NEVER seen a 1010 or a 1028 with a LSD front. Only the 1031, 1028A1 and 1028A2 have had LSD's in the front. I don't know why the Gov didn't order all of them with LSDs in the front, but that's not how they were ordered.

Later,
Joe

50shooter

So in a nut shell, it's a crap shoot. Hence my original post, some literature says yes and other say no. Some guys have it and others don't. Guess I'll have to do a little hands on axle work if I can find an 1010 or a 1028. I really appreciate all the input as it proved the need to check first hand.

Thanks

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1008 and M1010 front axledifferentials have thrustwashers at side gears. M1028,M1028A1, and M1031 haveclutch packs.If disassembling M1008 orM1010 front axle differential,perform steps 1-6.

From page 6-43, TM-34