• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101a2 Surge Brake?

deucebigalo

Good Morning All,

I would like to start that I have searched many of the other posts with out any luck, I am trying to find out if there is a way to deactivate the surge brake on a M101A2. I know that there is a purpose to why it is there, just curious to know if it was possible and if so how do you do it?

Thanks for the help!

And also if this has been talked about already, sorry!

deucebigalo

One of the reasons I am asking is because when this trailer is empty, during stopping the surge brakes engage and shake the HECK out of the tow vehicle, and also going down hill during braking the same thing while braking. The surge brake assembly is a new unit that was installed prior to my aquisition of this trailer. This would be a great feature when the trailer has a load but when empty this is a pain in the ***.

mistaken1

My M101A2 trailer does not shake the towing vehicle when empty. You may need to adjust the trailer braking system.

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an M116A2 trailer, which is the same as the M101A2, but designed to carry a generator and it is equipped with the same surge brakes. When I pull it empty or loaded, the brakes work perfectly. Perhaps you have some oil or grease in your brake drums as this can cause grabbing. Another possibility might be rusty drums. The brakes should not grab or shake when braking. My surge brakes work very well. I would not recommend disabling the surge brakes, I would find the cause and correct it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
As I read in another post, the cause of the bad braking is that the surge brake shock absorber has gone bad. Replace it and you should be back in business. To take the surge brake out of commission, you need to install a pin in it somewhere. Wish I knew so I could tell you. I am under the impression that the pin gets installed when you are trying to back up with a heavy load. Might want to look in the TM.

Reactions: art

deucebigalo

the kind of shaking I am trying to explain is like the brake is, on then off, then on then off, and keeps doing it until stopped. On a gradual brake application the brake does not engage , that I am aware of. I have not noticed the braking being consistent at all. just the pulsing type! where is this spring located, how do i get one and what would a part number be.

thanks again!

Nonotagain

the kind of shaking I am trying to explain is like the brake is, on then off, then on then off, and keeps doing it until stopped. On a gradual brake application the brake does not engage , that I am aware of. I have not noticed the braking being consistent at all. just the pulsing type! where is this spring located, how do i get one and what would a part number be.

thanks again!

The shock absorber is bad.

The shaking is the brakes being applied, then releasing, and being applied again.

If you want to remove the surge brake coupler, I'll purchase it from you.

Otherwise the two vertical strips of metal limit the travel of the tongue assembly. Running another strip of metal horizontally to connect the lower bolts will lock out the brakes.

KsM715

I was under the impression that you could lock-out the surge brake by inserting a pin in the small hole that goes across the brake from side to side. If it wasnt pouring rain out I would run out and get a pic of the hole I'm talking about.

Edit: Break in the rain. The hole inbetween the 2 swing plates.

Attachments

Last edited:

Unforgiven

You can lock it out with a 3/8" pin. But you have to make sure the surge is already disengaged before you do it (the hole will be open). If you're backing it up already then chances are the surge is engaged (the hole will be covered/partially covered). Otherwise, wire in one of these:

REVERSING SOLENOID VALVES

kstrekker

I was under the impression that you could lock-out the surge brake by inserting a pin in the small hole that goes across the brake from side to side. If it wasnt pouring rain out I would run out and get a pic of the hole I'm talking about.

Edit: Break in the rain. The hole inbetween the 2 swing plates.

Thanks! I just picked up my M101A2 yesterday and after fighting to back in my drive, I remembered seeing someone post up a pick of the override hole location. I plan on using my trailer for hauling firewood, so I'm sure I'll need to lock-out the surge brakes for backing up off road.

Barrman

Besides the shock. Have you tried adjusting your brakes, bleeding them and checking them according to the TM's. They are really pretty easy to work on.

I need to get the pin myself. I pulled mine 530 some odd miles last weekend behind the M1009. I was actually camping in the trailer and needed to back it into a spot up hill, over a curb at night. I went to back up, got one tire over the lump, but the truck just wouldn't go. Thinking I was up against something bigger, I got out and looked the ground over again. Nothing. Back into the truck I go and it won't move. Out I get to lock in the hubs and put the truck in 4 lo to try again. It took some throttle, but it moved where I wanted to go. The next morning I was looking at it trying to figure out why I had trouble when I saw the hole for the pin. The brakes were on and I had actually skidded one of the tires a little.

The pin will now be zip tied or chained or attached to the trailer in some manner.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the master cyl. and added new Dot 5 silicon fluid, but did not bleed...So, I just got back from a 3000 plus mile road trip with my M101A2. I left empty, and
when I stopped at the first stop, It chattered, and slammed...bam, bam, bam until stopped. Well no time to go figure it out, so went on trip. If I slowly stopped it didn't chatter. Faster stops made it chatter and { It was only one side locking up.}
So I loaded it with lots of heavy Humvee parts and started back....normal stops seemed not to chatter, but when going down hill and stopping, the chatter came back, so now I'm tired of the problem, so I emptied the unit and problem gone, Oh and my shock is fine.
now I'm back and will re-fill and bleed and re-test.
I like that pin idea, I'll have to get one.
Greg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks