• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 Cracked Transmission Case

MachoTime96

Just found a crack in the rear of the Transmission case on my 1984 M1028. Thinking of replacing the entire thing.

Any videos, links, advise is appreciated, thank you in advance.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Not sure was "dog" means but i dont believe it was broken when I got it. I drive it carefully on mostly pavement.
Okay, what about the motor / transmission mounts? Are they in good shape? Generally speaking, a transmission will only get cracked if it is under a load (torque) and maybe the mounting was loose. I can't imagine it just sitting there and getting a crack in it.

MachoTime96

Okay, what about the motor / transmission mounts? Are they in good shape? Generally speaking, a transmission will only get cracked if it is under a load (torque) and maybe the mounting was loose. I can't imagine it just sitting there and getting a crack in it.
You may be on to something. I noticed my rear drive shaft was dented. The previous put a tire weight to offset the dent when it spins. This could be a factor. Ive yet to check the motor mounts. But ive never noticed them being worn.

78bigten

Last year my 1985 M1008 transmission had a crack at the rear of the case. The crack was on the top, close to where the transfer case mounts bolts to the transmission case.

I have owned the truck for close to ten years now. I don't off road it hard or tow much with it. It was my daily driver for the first four or five years I owned it. I did replace both the motor mounts and the transmission mounts when I first bought the truck.

I was lucky to find a transmission out of a CUCV in a junk yard a couple of hours away. The replacement transmission had HD cast into the bellhousing.

The transmission that came out of my M1008 did not have HD cast into the bellhousing. I believe the HD transmission case had reinforcements made to the rear of the transmission case, to help support the transfer case.

I can only guess that a previous owner had replaced the transmission before. And the weight of the transfer case cracked the transmission case.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe you need the support rod for the transfercase? I don't know much about them but there is a thread on here about it.

Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks