• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 build thread

Skinny

I would love to get my hands on an SECM welder. I have been trying to get my hands on one for a few months now.
This one is a behemoth. It took 3 students and myself to pull it out. Absolutely oversized and heavy. My truck actually sat crooked because of this thing. My Hobart 140 will fit much nicer in that slot:shock:

Trainman

Wow! Nice truck. I am curious though, would you be willing to snap some pics of inside the compartments? I am interested in one of these trucks and have never seen inside the storage area.:)

M1031CMT

This one is a behemoth. It took 3 students and myself to pull it out. Absolutely oversized and heavy. My truck actually sat crooked because of this thing. My Hobart 140 will fit much nicer in that slot:shock:
Should have seen how much trouble it was to get the original generator/welder out of our truck. Took a HIAB to get it out, and even with that it was a pain. Truck must have sat up by at least 3 inches with that thing out of there.

New generator isn't much lighter, but works a lot better than the old hacked up one. And with 14kw of power, we are good to power up pretty much anything.

Looking good. Keep up the good work.

Attachments

Last edited:

Skinny

What a monster! Poor M1031 lugging that thing around:shock:

Your SECM box is slightly different from mine. Your front door comes down lower and your filler neck is in the wheel well panel, mine is inside behind the door. The rest of the air compressor and lighting equipment looks to be the same.

Still looking for a generator/air compressor buyer:doghead:

leeh725

M1031CMT, I don't think your welder is the same as the one for my box. The one I'm looking for will plug right into the 50 amp socket on the control panel. I'm pretty sure it isn't quite as big as yours.

Last edited:

M1031CMT

What a monster! Poor M1031 lugging that thing around:shock:

Your SECM box is slightly different from mine. Your front door comes down lower and your filler neck is in the wheel well panel, mine is inside behind the door. The rest of the air compressor and lighting equipment looks to be the same.
From what I have been told, the service box on our truck is the older style. Pretty much the only difference is that the compartment right behind the cab sits around 8 inches lower (like the compartment on the back of the truck). It is due to the old welder/generator setup (like we had in our truck) which needed the little bit of extra room. You have the newer style of the box which doesn't need the extra room because you have the PTO power system.

M1031CMT, I don't think your welder is the same as the one for my box. The one I'm looking for will plug right into the 50 amp socket on the control panel. I'm pretty sure it isn't quite as big as yours.
We actually scrapped it after taking it out of the truck. The system wasn't working when we got it (lots of cut/hacked up wires) and it was a very old setup. I wouldn't have recommended it to put into another truck. There are newer/better setups.

We were never interested in a dual generator/welder system in our truck. When we need to do welding out in the yard, we load the Miller welder into the truck (or bring it over with another truck), then power the welder (and other tools like a grinder and the air compressor in the truck) using the generator.

jets1959

Should have seen how much trouble it was to get the original generator/welder out of our truck. Took a HIAB to get it out, and even with that it was a pain. Truck must have sat up by at least 3 inches with that thing out of there.

New generator isn't much lighter, but works a lot better than the old hacked up one. And with 14kw of power, we are good to power up pretty much anything.

Looking good. Keep up the good work.
This is the older dodge takeoff contact maintenance box. You also have the air panel in the front of the roof. It was a gas powered generator welder combo unit. Worked ok with the dodges which were also gas powered. Didn't make a lot of sense to have a desiel powered truck with a gas gen.

jets1959

The welder you are looking for was made by miller. I don't know the model number. Sorry!!! My welder was already gone out of mine.

M1031CMT

Yup. That is why they had to install a fuel tank inside one of the compartments to fuel the gas powered generator/welder combo.

We ended up pulling out the tank, cleaning it out really well, and now using it to fuel the new diesel generator. Didn't want to bother connecting up to the truck's fuel tank and this way we can run the generator without fear of draining the truck's fuel tank.

Not a great pic of the tank, but it is there.

Attachments

m38inmaine

Thanks to skinny for the Miller welder to complete my shop truck. I'll post a few pictures when I get it installed.

Attachments

Last edited:

REO 54

Awesome thread Skinny.Good build. And Jet's1959, it was good meeting you at the PNW
Rally this year. Look forward to more interaction with you.Your truck is well put together!

Now I have to get one. :-D

Skinny

I will add some more soon. I am getting a new injection pump and will be installing shortly, adding a back up camera with a monitor where the rearview goes, and putting some goodies out back like a stove. Getting it ready for a sunrise climb up Mt. Washington at the end of August.

PTO generator and air compressor still available for purchase:wink:

jets1959

Awesome thread Skinny.Good build. And Jet's1959, it was good meeting you at the PNW
Rally this year. Look forward to more interaction with you.Your truck is well put together!

Now I have to get one. :-D
You want the one with the PTO driven generator!!! But they are all cool!!!!!!!!:grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks