• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031/M1008 body mount problems.

deank

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Happy Sunday!

I am in need of some visual assistance please.
I am in the process of changing all 6 body mounts on my M1031. The left front under the radiator support was coming apart.

On the passenger side I am not able to remove the bolts under the cab. I believe the nut inside the cab framework is turning. Goes from hard to turn to easy to turn but they are not backing out. I made the mistake of using an impact wrench on them.

Learned from that. Drivers side were removed by hand. All is well there.

Does anyone have a picture or diagram of where to cut or drill to gain access to those mounting nuts?

Please share.
Thank you.

ehuppert

No diagram, but btdt more than once.... I use a 3" cutoff disc and make three slices to make a "flap" I can bend up to access nut. When job complete fold flap back down and weld shut.... Doesn't need to be exact, but neatness helps!

Eric

nyoffroad

If you look closely inside the cab on the floor you should be able to see the spot welds where the floor is welded to the floor brace/cab mount. Those welds will look like small (5/16") round depressions in the floors sheet metal and will be in two rows about 3" apart. What you want to do is either cut or use a hole saw in between those rows, don't get to close because those welds are on the outer flanges of the mount. I use a hole saw and drill in the center (measure inward from the rocker seam) and cut the bolt head off from underneath and drive it up thru then toss it. Replace with a IIRC 1/2" bolt and locknut on the inside, weld on a patch, finish as you please.

deank

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool. Thank you. I won’t be able to use that idea though. I had the floor pans replaced and the welder was not the best at restoration welding. He did not weld the pans back to the supports.

I am going to try using 1/4” square rod. I will bend a piece long enough to reach past the captive nut and lay it along the side to fill the gap and then use a rstchet and socket to turn the bolt heads.

deank

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder… maybe I can get a C-clamp on where the captive nut is and squeeze the sides enough to back out the bolts?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks