• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 bed on M101 (or M116) trailer

Hammer

Well, after doing enough swapping of parts around, I had a 105 bed, and the 116 trailer that I took the 101 bed off of.
I had thought about putting it on there before, but the 116 tires are too close together to fit in the 105 wheel wells.

Now, I did NOT do this to actually USE the trailer. I just wanted a way to move that heavy 105 bed around easier!

So, I flipped the rims around on the 116, and the 105 sits down on the trailer pretty darn easy!
Granted, this was a 101 trailer to start, so it was a raw frame, not the 116 trailer with fenders.

Couple chains and binders later, and I can now move the 105 bed around on the 116 trailer!
Granted, I didn't get it lined up perfectly. But I didn't really care. I just need to be able to move it around without it falling off.

Attachments

xiongy

Hmmm it actually looks pretty good. I doesn't look like the bolt holes for securing the body to the chassis line up... too bad.

Hammer

The frame width between the two trailers is completely different.
With a bit of thinking, I bed I could use the stock 101 hardware to mount the 105 bed.

But, like I said, I just need to move this heavy and awkward thing around.

number9

Has anyone else done this?

I have a M101A2 chassis that I'd like to use as a farm trailer pulling behind my tractor (Kubota L3800).

I've got a couple M105's that I don't use since selling my M35.

The M105's are too big to pull with my tractor, the M101 would be sized more correctly, plus it has surge brakes and won't be trying to shove me. One of my M105's is pretty rough and I'd like to use that bed on my 101 chassis.

I'd like to just run across a bed for a M101, but even IF I found one, that's money I don't really need to spend when I have the 105's just sitting idle and no plans (currently) for them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has been done before and looked pretty sharp. I don't recall where I saw the swap though. 9' of bed can be mighty handy.

number9

Running down to get one of my M105's this evening to start this project. I'll post up some pics when I get it going. I've got a M116A3 that I believe the 105 bed would sit right down on, but I really want to use the M116A2 chassis, just don't know what to do about the wheels not being set out wide enough. Don't really want to buy new wheels.....eh...maybe I will end up using the A3 chassis.....

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just be careful if you decide to flip the rims like this example. In real world useage, that'd be a lot of stress on the wheel bearings.

number9

Yea, those are the older M101 wheels, mine are the M101A2, 8-lug GM truck wheels, they won't flip. The A3 axle (with HMMWV wheels) is wider, I think right at 57" between the tires. If I use the A2 wheels, which are just normal GM truck steel wheels, they'd be even wider between the tires as they don't have near the back spacing of the HMMWV wheels.

number9

Won't be much of a build really, just swapping the bed over to a diff frame, but I'll for sure post pics of the process and what I find it takes in case someone else follows the same path at some point.

number9

Got it done. Was a LONG day and night. I've got to make a run to the county dump this morning with it. I'll post pics and all when I get time later today. It looks a lot better than I thought it would.

Teaser pic until later.....

08_zps8f61a4ba.jpg