• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M108 gets overdrive gear

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Figure I was running about 28,000lbs with the trailer and truck. 50-60mph, couple of 40-45 mph hills. Pyro was 1200 the whole way. I might have come off full throttle twice on the way home. About 65 miles one way.

Checked temps when I got home with the heat gun. Hubs were 100-140, rear ends 140, transmission and transfer case 175.

No problems. I do think the truck idles a little rough, but it's been doing that. Maybe injector.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
dennis, what does just the truck weigh? how is the performance without trailer? compared to a deuce that extra 14,000lbs must count for a lot of energy.

tom

Westech

CPL
I so wish I had got a kit. Taking the trans out in about a hour to do a clutch seams like a waste of time with out installing one.

Do you have any of the .71 kits left? That would be plenty fast for me.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 things. Westy shouldn't have one. He runs the dang truck at 2900 everywhere he goes. He will be doing 80. The M108 weighs 19,785 with the gasser so it's an easy 20,000#.

phil2968

Figure I was running about 28,000lbs with the trailer and truck. 50-60mph, couple of 40-45 mph hills. Pyro was 1200 the whole way.
When I towed my M35 with my M109 out of Albany Ga, I could hold almost 58 mph on flat ground. I figured I weighed 28,000#, I wonder what my EGT was? My boost would stay around 8 psi on level ground and up to 12 psi on the hills and starting out. First pic is mirror shot of the M35 in tow with the other M35 bringing up the back door.

Yeah, I'm braggin' a little. I just proud to own a fine piece of American Iron!
I haven't touched the IP since I picked it up. FDC is still hooked up.
Wonder what it would do with Tom's overdrive kit?

Attachments

Last edited:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
9 lbs boost at WOT got to 1200 pretty quick on mine. Up hills WOT as the engine slowed and the boost dropped, the pyro climbed quickly. You should get a pyro because you won't know you are ruining the engine till it has gone too far. I always played it safe and ran no more than 1100 for any length of time.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't really ran the truck without the trailer on it, other than a couple trips around the block(about 8 miles). It gets to speed pretty good then, takes a couple of miles before everything warms up. Then it will do 62 just fine. Figure it will get a good run in october. I will also drive it in July for a trip, see how it does then.

Like Kenny said, it should weigh 20k, if not a little more. Need to run it across the scales.

Last edited: