• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M114 sniper platform

Alredneck

Banned
Its a support by fire platform, but also provide more protection and gives them more command and control. The sniper for precision fires, the mini gun for overwhelming suppressive fires.

Elwenil

jpinst said:
That is a nice restoration but a sniper platform on a super loud APC is retarded. That said, why would you put a chain gun next to a sniper platform? I though snipers did not want to be seen or heard, and did not want attention drawn to them. You will hear this thing rolling in from a mile away. I think you should donate it to the police in Lebanon, not much use for a small town sheriff in the USA.
I think you are confusing a military sniper with a SWAT team marksman. They serve different purposes entirely. Some of what this vehicle is intended to do is provide an awe inspiring show of force to make offenders weigh their options carefully. A marksman in plain sight can sometimes be more effective then a hidden one if the offender gives up without the marksman firing a shot. While a military style sniper hidden an unseen is in most cases, only good to take down the offender. This platform simply provides the LEOs a mobile platform for a marksman that can be placed in plain sight for the best possible shot when there is no available cover as well as provide a very visual deterrent.

wgtactical

The camo machine has a TBI 350, 240 HP and the second machine we are doing has a 300+HP 6.0L. Both has a computer controlled 4L80E transmission. Either is quite a step up from the 140HP 283 with the "old school" hydramatic four speed.
Elwenil, you are exactly right 8)

Elwenil

Interesting that they are almost completely underwater when afloat. I wonder why they didn't in corporate a short, soft sided hull to extend upward something like what the S103 has. Seems if one track hit a stump or rock on the bottom, it could tip the APC enough to allow water inside and sink it. I suppose the hatches could be close to prevent this, but I think I would be very nervous sealed inside, lol.

jwaller

wow. imagine a 1 ft swell would kill that thing being that it doesn't have a snorkel. I would if for amfib operation you have to have scuba gear on hand?

saddamsnightmare

July 12th, 2008.

How about offering the Sherriff's Departments an Armored M35 Gun Truck with a nice little Phalanx or Vulcan gun? The cost of conversion would be less then a new civillian MRAP, and it would take good care of the drug kingpins, anti-government types, and just plain wackjobs you often run into in that business..... And about going boom? You know, the doyen of Southern Thinkers, Mark Twain, once remarked that "Generally when you throw a rock over a board fence into a yard of dogs, the one that bark's is usually the one that's hit" I think that rock mighta hit a few here and there......
My vote is, if you need an APC to take down a Meth Lab, get an APC......

Keep Smilin' , and put me in for one of those M114's, digital camouflage or not.....

rofl

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Cargo Trailer
1967 Hercules MEP023A Gas Gen Set APU
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, S.404.114 MB [thumbzup]

BSH

I'm sorry, it just seems flat-out wrong for local law enforcement such as a sheriff's office to have an APC. I just can see a justification. This doesn't seem to fit the old-fashioned "protect and serve" mission; it looks more like "kill and destroy."

Elwenil

So you believe that when a gunman goes nuts and start shooting to kill people that our police that protect us only deserve the sheetmetal of their patrol cars to protect them? Anything more powerful than a .22 will go through the door of the average police car. Personally I have no issue with them wanting a vehicle that keeps them safe and offers a little intimidation factor. Sure, the "kill and destroy" image is there, but that's exactly what you want the criminal to think. You want them to believe that they only way they are going to get out of their situation alive is if they lay down their weapons and give up.

I could see your point about police not needing an APC or similar vehicle if that was what they were patrolling the streets with, intimidating the general population but you rarely see these vehicles except in parades and under the most extreme circumstances. Honestly, I seriously doubt that most law enforcement agencies can justify the cost of owning and maintaining such a vehicle but if it allows them to confront a gunman holed up with hostages and protects the police and intimidates the gunman into giving up and everyone walks away, then it's well worth whatever the cost was.

wgtactical

wreckerman893 said:
As long as the "powers that be" don't have a problem with me owning one, I don't have a problem with them owning one.
Certainly makes sense to me. However, for every reason we can find that sworn law enforcement personnel should not have armored vehicles, is at least worth five reasons why the average citizen should not have them either :shock: We might as well say that police and other public safety personnel shouldn’t be able to have body armor either…after all, it may save their lives in the event one of us decides to shoot them one day :roll: Sounds pretty silly when you put it in words doesn’t it? The truth is, I have a very personal reason for my strong support of protective equipment for the folks that put themselves in harms way for the rest of us, as I know if bad can happen, it will. And on Aug 9, 2005 “bad” happened to a member of my family. http://www.odmp.org/officer/17836-correctional-officer-wayne-thomas-(cotton)-morgan This was a fine man, and if anyone would like to do further research available on the internet, you will understand why I say that. Not that this is any reason that folks can’t disagree with what I do…as that is certainly one of the many freedoms he, and many like him, has served and even died for. So understandably, this is the same reason that I can’t (and wont) simply sit on my hands :wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks