• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116a3 modifications

maxtor

We have three M116a3 flatbed trailers that show they weigh 800 lbs. empty.
We have one M1101 trailer with an aluminum bed that shows it is 1460 lbs. empty.
I would think that the aluminum bed is not 660 lbs.
Therefore it might be advantageous to find another M1101 bed and put it on the M116a3 chassis.
So far, I can't think of any good use for the flatbed trailers, since I do not have nor need a generator, of which these trailers were used for.
The fenders take up to much room on the bed.

P1010247.jpg

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wish you were closer , I am looking for one to modify as my Mule carrier . Bob k

maplehillfrm

hey bob k ,, I have a 116 with a steel bed will that help you out, I was just thinking of getting rid of , not sure on going prices though? pm me if you want to,

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
gotta love this site ! , yes I am interested , pick a price and if you can send me a picture to my email rtkjmk@verizon.net I am located in Lockport , so I can make a nice trip out to you if you want . 100_1276.jpg

I want to make a flat bed trailer to carry the Mule behind my M37 , thanks again , Bob K

maxtor

One of our m116a3 trailers, I modified by moving the fenders out about nine inches each side. You might have to do that to get your mule between the fenders. I installed smaller tires and wheels also. I still need to paint it. I am going to paint it to match the color of our Jeep.

005.jpg

P1010184.jpg

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info . I had measured a M116 trailer and the wheel wells are just a bit to wide , so I was making a plan to make the deck wider to fit the Mule . I also noticed that the wheel wells are VERY wide even for the military tires . Push come to shove I will make a whole new deck , maybe out of heavy gauge expanded metal , it's my winter project ,LOL bob k

maxtor

My plan is to weld some stake pockets to the side, then place water proof containers on the trailer and strap them down. Inside the containers will be a tent, extra water and fuel, food, etc. for excursions into the wilderness. I think modified M116a3 will be lighter than our stock M1101. It will definitely be more aerodynamic for pulling with our Jeep.

VikingGinger

One of our m116a3 trailers, I modified by moving the fenders out about nine inches each side. You might have to do that to get your mule between the fenders. I installed smaller tires and wheels also. I still need to paint it. I am going to paint it to match the color of our Jeep.

View attachment 508404

View attachment 508403
Can you tell me what the measurement is between your fenders now? I'm considering a project with one of these trailers. I would also need to widen the distance between the fenders. How many inches can be cut out of the inside of each fender with the stock wheels and tires? Appreciate your help!

maxtor

Can you tell me what the measurement is between your fenders now? I'm considering a project with one of these trailers. I would also need to widen the distance between the fenders. How many inches can be cut out of the inside of each fender with the stock wheels and tires? Appreciate your help!
I will measure tomorrow. I had it painted black. We have a M1101 and three M116a3 trailers. They all carry over one ton.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be perfect for the Mule , looks real nice . A set of ramps and I would be good to go !

Ratch

That trailer looks phenomenal, Max. Very nice work.
I'm hoping to do the same for my M116A3, whether I beef up the suspension or not. It sucks that I can't fit a sheet of plywood or my mower between the fenders.

maxtor

That trailer looks phenomenal, Max. Very nice work.
I'm hoping to do the same for my M116A3, whether I beef up the suspension or not. It sucks that I can't fit a sheet of plywood or my mower between the fenders.
Thanks for the kind words.
What you could do, if you used shorter tires, like 30" or so, is to cut out the fenders completely, and weld in some flat stock over the missing area, leaving the area directly above the tires open for travel when you add weight to the trailer and for spring movement. You would have plenty of room for your plywood or other things.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks