• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 tractor verses M818

number9

I think I'd like to have some sort of an MV tractor some day to pull a M128 / M129 or an M172 for personal use. I've got my CDL and own an OTR semi pulling flatbed freight so I *could* already legally drive and insure the M818. However I am not sure what the expense would be for owning an M818 - insurance, etc. How do people insure these things when you only use it for personal use - any tips/tricks.

I know I can insure the M35 on my auto policy and it aint that much a year. It wouldn't be much work to pull the bed off and add a 5th wheel and air lines for the trailer. I know it would probably be under powered and maybe under braked than the M818 for this use though, is that accurate?

Anyone who has owned both or has used a M35 for a tractor, I'd love to hear some of your advice.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the m35 makes a poor tractor in my opinion. Have owned both. too small, underpowered

cessnatwin

M818 is cheap to insure I added 2 two my policies at 56.00 each! Easy to maintain, I have had no problems with them! Don't use an m35 for a tractor purpose, get a 5 ton.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a M275A2 (Deuce tractor) with 200 hp LDS, and with a 10,000 lowboy and 26,000 cargo, the truck is completely at the edge of it's capability for highway use. I upgraded to a M915 before someone got hurt. If you are an OTR pro you know there are no exemptions from USDOT regs for "antique" or "historical" if you have GVWR over 26,000.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had both too. The bigger tractor is the way to go. When I started, some 40 years ago, here in the North, all the trucks were smaller, and slower. Today, with the Deuce sized vehicle, when you have it pulling a semi trailer, you'll just be in the way of everybody. About anything you want to haul will bog it on the hills. Even the 5 tons will be slow by todays highway standards, but its added capacities will make it safer. But if you have some local, short haul work for it, especially work that can be done in low range, it will really shine, and I doubt there will be much difference in operating costs.

Lee in Alaska

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with the opinions above. I, too, have owned both. I like the M275A2 better because it is cool and rare, but the M818 is a better tractor to work. Plus, you could buy two M818s for the price of a nice M275A2! With that said, do as NDT has done and skip both...buy an M915. The M818 is really not a good road tractor. They just don't have the power to really pull anything of note down the road and if you have hills in your area, forget it! Across a field at low speeds...absolutely. On the interstate with a heavy load...there are better options.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having used my M818 to haul 62 loads of rail and concrete crossties, fully loaded 76k-80k, in the foot hills on back roads, I can say- It will do the job. It is slow, but way more powerful than a deuce, with better brakes.

I used my M35 to move from VA to SC, with a converter dolly and a m146 van trailer, grossing 39,000. SLOW.... And it was planned stops all the way, even with the deuce brakes, dolly brakes, and trailer brakes all working correctly.

I have only ridden in AMGeneral's m915 once- But I will be getting one to haul on the road from now on. I have a m172 that I haul with my m818 moving equipment and supplies for the railroad museum. It is slow going.

I will keep the m818, because I like it so much and it will be handy for pulling stuff in the woods and off road. But I'm going to get a better truck for my OTR hauls from now on.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have a M275 and have had an M54 Multi-fuel 5 ton and an M-915.

The M-915 has it over the others hands down...there is no subsitute for HP and higher gears.

Unless you just want a M275 for the collector factor (they are somewhat rare) try to get a M915.

There is a huge lot of them up for sale on a popular surplus sales site right now.

It looks like the gooberment is dumping them like they were doing the duece a few years ago.

IMHO now is the time to grab one.

I miss mine so much I am considering getting another one.

eldgenb

I agree with wreckerman completely, you can pick up the 915's cheaper than most 818's right now, can't beat the power train. my .02

L999here

...pulling an M172a1...

Didn't have time to get an M918 or equivlent tractor...so just got a '94 Freightliner to haul my M172A1 25-ton trailer and an FV432 APC...my avitar. Loaded it up last night,pulled down the road to fill it up with 125 gals. of gas @ $2.61 gal. Suggest the bigger semi rig...always better to have the extra power/pulling capacity.