• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 bobbed as Expedition vehicle?

Shahn

Hello all! I am new to the forum and was hoping to get some great opinions on my Issue. I have been searching for a vehicle that I can use as a great starting platform for an expedition vehicle. I have considered just about everything I and the internet could think of. The list includes: Unimogs, Pinzgauers, Land Rovers (older series models), older Toyota FJ's, etc...

...and then I recently came across an ebay sellar offering this bobbed M35A2 custom.

3e82_12.jpg 20ba_12.jpg

Here is where I need some advice. Do you think something like this would be good for that? It seems to have the basic speed requirement that I am looking for (60-65mph), extremely rugged, 4x4, large fuel tanks, lots of add-on space in the bed, and a tough diesel motor. What I worry about is reliabilty, I plan to use this vehicle as an overlander, with trips to some of the worst environments on earth. I do not have the funds (read: Wife will not approve the budget) for something like a Unicat/MAN/Global Expedition vehicle which can easly run over $100k.

Frankly I love the look of this vehicle, and with some modifications to the cab comfort factor, the driving would greatly improve.

Any suggestions, experience or comments would be greatly appreciated.

-Shahn
Salem Oregon

P.S. The vehicle pictured is custom built by this clint digger (assuming this name from ebay user name), from unionville, Indiana (Business called C & C Equipment) anyone have experience with him or his creations?? Seems to have a great ebay feedback rating.

Shahn

umm no.... Just looking for advice on what I asked. If I was trying to solicit buyers I would have put a fancy link and more info about it.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Hello all! I am new to the forum and was hoping to get some great opinions on my Issue. I have been searching for a vehicle that I can use as a great starting platform for an expedition vehicle. I have considered just about everything I and the internet could think of. The list includes: Unimogs, Pinzgauers, Land Rovers (older series models), older Toyota FJ's, etc...

...and then I recently came across an ebay sellar offering this bobbed M35A2 custom.

View attachment 120574 View attachment 120576

Here is where I need some advice. Do you think something like this would be good for that? It seems to have the basic speed requirement that I am looking for (60-65mph), extremely rugged, 4x4, large fuel tanks, lots of add-on space in the bed, and a tough diesel motor. What I worry about is reliabilty, I plan to use this vehicle as an overlander, with trips to some of the worst environments on earth. I do not have the funds (read: Wife will not approve the budget) for something like a Unicat/MAN/Global Expedition vehicle which can easly run over $100k.

Frankly I love the look of this vehicle, and with some modifications to the cab comfort factor, the driving would greatly improve.

Any suggestions, experience or comments would be greatly appreciated.

-Shahn
Salem Oregon

P.S. The vehicle pictured is custom built by this clint digger (assuming this name from ebay user name), from unionville, Indiana (Business called C & C Equipment) anyone have experience with him or his creations?? Seems to have a great ebay feedback rating.

PErsonally I don't see the appeal of turning a perfectly good six wheel drive vehicle into a 4x4!

rivired

I cant wait to turn my perfectly good 6x6 into a 4x4..then ill be able to TURN and then when im finished turning wont have to worry about the wheel breaking my hands off on its way back to center..And best of all no more annoying tandem binding/hopping when leaving from a turn.

Chevytruck

try thinking CUCV
M1009
M1008

they are pretty reliable, diesel and i believe kinda hard to kill...

if not, go for a unmodified M35A2 even though they are 6X6 they are one of the toughest trucks you can get for your buck!

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shahn,

If you have no experience with these trucks, I recommend you get some before bidding.

Network with military truck owners in your area and ask for a test drive. Take your wife with you if you have any concerns about making an objective evaluation!

My opinion is that these trucks are slow, loud, hot and uncomfortable. Not a good combo for expeditions.

Having said that, part of the conversion to expedition fitting could include making the cabin more habitable: Sound proofing, insulation, A/C, muffler, etc...

The truck shown has a 9' bed. Will that be enough for your plans? Will you go cab over with the camper?

What are your expedition plans? Will you be on mostly paved roads or mostly off road?

Rick

Rolling_Eudaimonia

I cant wait to turn my perfectly good 6x6 into a 4x4..then ill be able to TURN and then when im finished turning wont have to worry about the wheel breaking my hands off on its way back to center..And best of all no more annoying tandem binding/hopping when leaving from a turn.

I've never really notice those problems that much. I mean sure the turning radius isn't great but really why by a 6x6 if you want a 4x4? Why not buy a 4x4 and put the rockwell axles under it?

Shahn

Thank you for your reply! I had not planned on bidding on this item at this time, mainly because I do not have any experience. This was one of my first stops in my research on these vehicles.

My expedition plans in general will encompass probably 50/50 paved/offroad. Of the 50% offroad most of that will be on rutted, rough third country trails/"roads". I am gearing up for a trans-american expedition from Patagonia to Alaska in ~2 years. So this dictates my timeline to get everything dialed in.

The truck, once completed will have a modified camper (something like an Alaskan camper to keep overall height down), as well as storage for spare parts/liquids/tires etc... As for the 9 foot bed, it will be tight, but I believe I could engineer it efficiently.

I had not been considering the 6x6 mainly do to top speed and gas milage. I may be wrong in this assumption, but removing the extra axle and related parts should increase the fuel economy to at least 11-12, and increase speed to highway speeds, while lowering driveline stress.

I have test driven most of the other vehicles I have considerd, everyone has some trade offs. Honestly, some crummy land rover would probably be more practical in many ways, but let's face it, these vehicles (both 6x6 and 4x4 bobbed) have more character than some land rover/ unimog ever could!

If the consensus of the replies I get think it's a less than ideal vehicle for what I intend, well, at least I made an informed decision before investing in the wrong tool. As I have stated before, I am by no means even a novice in regards to these trucks. But some of you are more than experts with the information I need. Thank you again for all your help.

Last edited:

vinny-socom1

Nothing for nothing but I do around 72-75mph in my 6x6 and about 8-10 mpg, but its a 5ton... and it also has a camper/radio box on it for sleeping/working.

Vinny

Rolling_Eudaimonia

I have alot of experience with an old Uni-Mog 500 series truck, they don't turn that well, they are slow, but they do have some cool features like shuttle-shift for forward range and reverse ranges. But Mog isn't going to be a speed demon or really all that nimble.

Last edited:

tm america

just get the m35 6x6 the bed is bigger so you can hual more gear the rear suspension is what makes the truck the articulation is unmatched even by a unimog. put some air lockers in it and power steering and youll have a pretty much unstoppable rig.if you want a 4x4 buy a 4x4 and put deuce axles under it it will be lighter,, faster, turn better,have more power, and be better in the mud.

ccequipment

Thank you for your reply! I had not planned on bidding on this item at this time, mainly because I do not have any experience. This was one of my first stops in my research on these vehicles.

My expedition plans in general will encompass probably 50/50 paved/offroad. Of the 50% offroad most of that will be on rutted, rough third country trails/"roads". I am gearing up for a trans-american expedition from Patagonia to Alaska in ~2 years. So this dictates my timeline to get everything dialed in.

The truck, once completed will have a modified camper (something like an Alaskan camper to keep overall height down), as well as storage for spare parts/liquids/tires etc... As for the 9 foot bed, it will be tight, but I believe I could engineer it efficiently.

I had not been considering the 6x6 mainly do to top speed and gas milage. I may be wrong in this assumption, but removing the extra axle and related parts should increase the fuel economy to at least 11-12, and increase speed to highway speeds, while lowering driveline stress.

I have test driven most of the other vehicles I have considerd, everyone has some trade offs. Honestly, some crummy land rover would probably be more practical in many ways, but let's face it, these vehicles (both 6x6 and 4x4 bobbed) have more character than some land rover/ unimog ever could!

If the consensus of the replies I get think it's a less than ideal vehicle for what I intend, well, at least I made an informed decision before investing in the wrong tool. As I have stated before, I am by no means even a novice in regards to these trucks. But some of you are more than experts with the information I need. Thank you again for all your help.
I would say you would be better off with one of my singled out 6x6's with the same tires on the 4x4 truck, than you would have a 12' bed, add power steering, and you will have a good platform to start a build for your project. Here is a couple of pics of one I just sold last week.

Attachments

Jakob

TM America I agree with your last post there. If he isn't looking for a 6x6, then a modified 4x4 w/ 2.5t axles would be better than a bobber. A 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 pickup, remove old axles and install Deuce axles. Get wheels and tires to fit your plans (46"ers probably).

C&C - That's why people here are so great. It's your truck on EBay and you're pushing a 6x6 truck. This is the best comunity of folks I know on the net.