• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 from Ft Riley KS to Austin TX

dw9339

I received my Paid in Full invoice yesterday from govliquidation a little earlier than I expected and now need to arrange transportation from the base in Ft. Riley, KS to Austin, TX.

The truck is a M35A2 with winch; the auction states that it runs and starts. I need this picked up by 5/25, but I am flexible on delivery.

I listed this shipment on uship.com but have not had much response to date. I would like to pay $850-900. If anyone is interested, please send me a PM!

Thanks!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where the trucks are located at Ft Riley, there is no loading dock available. You might be able to make arrangements to use a base ramp.

The GL reps at Riley do not have a very big forklift so they are not much help in loading any vehicles. You may need a truck with a ramp and winch.

I have heard that trucks are getting $2-$2.50 a loaded mile. You are at ~660 miles so you price may be low.

Why not fly in and drive it home?

dw9339

I've seen anywhere from 1.25 to 2.5 per mile. I'm hoping for closer to the 1.25 mark! The truck appears to be missing the three way light switch, so it is not possible to drive home without some mechanical attention, and I am not mechanically inclined.

KsM715

ooooh not mech. inclined? Boy did you pick a good vehicle to start learing on.

Ft Riley does have a loading ramp. I would suggest that you get it trailered home no matter the cost unless you can get someone experienced to go along in the chase vehicle.

tsstout

Yes they have a loading ramp and some big forklifts too... They are both in the main lot. Sometimes the trucks are in a lot a block or two away from the main... So you need to find out where it is.. It may mean the transporter will have to have loading ability or someone will have to drive it to the main lot.... They are pretty good guys out there... but you need to talk to them, for sure..... More details for better planning....

Terry

tsstout

I figured as much... That's why I chimed in.... I've seen it both ways... In fact I've seen them double forklift load non-running trucks... Is it any wonder they don't run ;)

Best to call and be friendly... They will help... at least they always have for me.... Rarely do they venture out into secondary lots for anything other than unlocking gates... BTW... That is where the alledged vandalism takes place.. in my experience anyway....

Terry

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
All the trucks in the last 5 auctions at Riley have been in the rear main DRMO lot with the new concrete Ramps. Used them 2 weeks ago when I picked up my M35A2. Was out there Monday picking up a KCLFF, they are by the scrap pile, it was all I could do not to go yank the seats out of a FMTV cab that was was in the pile!

KsM715

I forgot about lot "H" the secondary lot. I havent been out there for over a year.

I see alot of stuff in the scrap area that makes me want to cry. I bet GL would make 5 times as much if they held a 3day yard sale out of that lot.

TexAndy

Drive up with a buddy the night before and drive it back.

I did a 500 mile recovery out of Ft. Sill to south Texas that way a few weeks ago.

Just be sure to carry lots of tools, spare belts, hoses, batteries, fluids, etc...

Duke113p

If you need a place to rest and recoup with some fellow MV owners let me know, I live right off I40 south of Lawton, OK. Our doors are always open to MV travelers. Drop me a message or email.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drive up with a buddy the night before and drive it back.

I did a 500 mile recovery out of Ft. Sill to south Texas that way a few weeks ago.

Just be sure to carry lots of tools, spare belts, hoses, batteries, fluids, etc...
But be sure one of you has SOME mechanical ability or speed dial to a friend that does. Between myself and TexAndy we've probably recovered, or helped recover, 20 deuces in the last year. Out of all of those only 1 hand any significant problems when driving it off the lot. But if you're going to drive it you obviously need the light switch prior to getting it and need to know something about how to verify that it is SAFE to drive and how to drive (just because someone can drive their Nissan 5 speed doesn't mean they can drive a deuce without a little practice).

dw9339

But be sure one of you has SOME mechanical ability or speed dial to a friend that does. Between myself and TexAndy we've probably recovered, or helped recover, 20 deuces in the last year. Out of all of those only 1 hand any significant problems when driving it off the lot. But if you're going to drive it you obviously need the light switch prior to getting it and need to know something about how to verify that it is SAFE to drive and how to drive (just because someone can drive their Nissan 5 speed doesn't mean they can drive a deuce without a little practice).
As tempting as it is to try and drive it home, I have a kind of tight schedule with work and all, so if anything broke during transit, I would probably end up spending more to tow/repair/lodge/repeat than to just ship it. Sadly, I am friends with a bunch of city boys, only one of whom is able to change their own oil.

XM 2742

have ya thought about shuttling it home? The three way switch is an easy install.

Kansas to Austin is a straight shot down 35 and there are plenty of side roads around major cities. You have an offer in Lawton...........consider this an offer near Temple. Fill in a few places in between and make a few weekend excursions out of it. Just an idea.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As tempting as it is to try and drive it home, I have a kind of tight schedule with work and all, so if anything broke during transit, I would probably end up spending more to tow/repair/lodge/repeat than to just ship it. Sadly, I am friends with a bunch of city boys, only one of whom is able to change their own oil.
My point is you should have some knowledge of the vehicle or have someone along that could help (so I agree with shipping). I suggest you think about joining the Lonestar MVPA. The next meeting is May 19 at Camp Mabry. Not sure of the exact number but there are at least 10 deuces in the group including TexAndy and myself. Here's the website for more info: Lone Star MVPA - Welcome!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks