• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 fuel cutoff rod springs back to firewall 5 o'clock position when cover removed

bchauvette

What mechanism/method is there to keep the lever in the open position? Spring and ball detent? What ever that is could that be faulty? Is that keep open mechanism non operational with the cover removed? Can an external method be devised? Does feathering the throttle affect that lever?

rockbronco

I was also curious if I can run the engine with the cover off the side of the pump so the lever could be manipulated while another person feathers the pedal. I have confirmed the gas pedal and the hand throttle do effect the lever movement but once you let off the pedal or hand throttle the lever returns to the 5 o'clock position and engine stalls.
Its almost as if its hung up in the rear of the pump but is very difficult to see inside through just the shut off rod cover. I am going to have to remove the FDC as rob had mentioned to gather more information.

peashooter

Thank you for the suggestion, on that point I have been researching the HH and symptoms related to it as well as replacements and have had little luck finding a distributor in the US.
Do you have any suggestions where to get them at a reasonable price?
If you find you need a new HH, you can get a new Asian made Hydraulic Head from TNJ Murray for around $300. I think they are listed higher on the website but call him up and ask, I know a few of us have bought them for that price in the last year. I bought one just to have on hand for if/when mine starts to go out.

rockbronco

I will not be running it again until I get to removing the FDC and taking pictures to post, I hope to get this done by Saturday. The weather up here has been bouncing between 0 and 20 all week Saturday looks like a balmy 30.

:)

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you can run the motor and control the fuel by way of the leaver and shut down cover off. As long as it goes to around the 4 oclock pisition for shut down and does not stick at the 7 oclock pisition. Have your friend crank the motor over and you hold it in the 7 oclock pisition and when it fires reduce it back to a nice idle.
As for why it is in the shut down pisition when off is going to be a find and fix. As said when the motor is off the fuel control should be in the 7 oclock pisition so as to start. There are two springs in the back end of the ip unit that control the control rod.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Worse case you will need to pull off the rear cover and if it is FUBAR let me know and I will send you a use tail shaft like I did for Jeepsinker. lol
Also from his pic's a little oil won't even be noticed. lol

Last edited:

rockbronco

I'm planning on removing the FDC tomorrow (weather permitting) , where mine has been bypassed and has no fuel lines going to it are there any other gotchas to be aware of when lifting the FDC off the IP pump body?
Any linkages , clips, rods ect... to be aware prior to lifting it up and off the IP?
I was reading through the TM's and looked almost like there is a small vertical rod coming down from the FDC.