• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 motor swap

acesneights1

Nah, not mandatory, just handy. I use a ratchet on one side and a box end wrench on the other. Why is the oil pan important? If it a multifuel, its just installed backward as a 5ton set up. The oil pick up tubes is what is different. You'll need to swap those. Also, if you put your trans in after you put the motor in, you will want the trans in (I think) 1st gear, as it sucks in the shift rod that sticks out the back of the transmission. That rod is only used in a truck with a sprage T-case, but it will still hinder your installation if it isn't sucked in.
That was gonna be my next question. I believe my new motor has the oilpump off a 5 ton on it. I think the PO took the whole oilpump and pickup tube assmbly and swapped it to the LDS and put the 5 ton oil pump back on my LDT. Can I just use my pickup tubes with the 5 ton oil pump ? My LDT Oil Pump is loaded with shratnel. I would not trust it.
Here's what was in the pan...I can't figure out why the motor made noise...:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPHyKw1PQvY&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

Last edited:

acesneights1

I've done these both ways and frankly, I find it easier to do them seperate. Lifting the oil pan over the front crossmember (unless you have the removable one) and getting the tranny tower under the firewall is a bit of a pain. I also find it worth my effort to remove the left fender.
My crossmember is removable and I did remove it however it was not enough. I would say the front bumper would have to come off to do it right as well.
The video is a bit long but this is really a two person job. Unfortunatley, I am only one person so I have to get creative sometimes.
My 8 yr old took the vid so...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zar--CYIkC0&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

acesneights1

Well if there was any doubt about replacing vs repairing the motor...It is settled now. The liner came apart. The PO is a dirtbag. There is no way he didn't know this engine was damaged. What is even worse is he smoked a brand new clutch. The flywheel even looked new...:mad:
I wonder if I could just have the pressure plate resurfaced. It's new save for the damage from smoking the clutch.

Attachments

acesneights1

I gotta tell you I am not in love with that cheesy clutch disc. I would rather have a full disc.
So I am at a standstill until I get a new clutch and also determine if I can use the LDS oil pump or do I need to buy one for an LDT..

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel your pain , working by yourself , I am also a one man band . I think you are doing great , just take your time . I would think both pumps are the same , only real difference is the pickup . BTW , Man the PO really got INTO that thing ! wow , that is a LOT of damage , o-well , just drive on and you will be fine .

acesneights1

I feel your pain , working by yourself , I am also a one man band . I think you are doing great , just take your time . I would think both pumps are the same , only real difference is the pickup . BTW , Man the PO really got INTO that thing ! wow , that is a LOT of damage , o-well , just drive on and you will be fine .
Thanks,
The liner came apart because the PO was a moron. He screwed with the IP fuel control group because the shutoff was stuck and he put in on backwards and the truck ranaway bad.

acesneights1

I just spent an hour digging through the TM's trying to find something on the Oilpumps. I found the reinstall TM but it shows different procedures for the LDS 465-2 vs everything else although that might be because of the pickup tubes. Still working on it. gotta figure it out .

acesneights1

I may be a stubborn irishman but I still am not sold on hese new style clutch discs espcially after seeing how the one in the truck fell apart I'd rather use this style...

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes, the pumps are the same, just different pick up tubes. I would get some sheet gasket and make my own. That clutch is the better of the two. The one that is full circle is made of organic material. The one in your pics is ceramic. The one you have has higher contact pressure due to its smaller contact area. Another benefit is if you get oil on the clutch, you can just spray it down with brake cleaner and it will be good to go. I had an issue where the trans input shaft was leaking oil back into the clutch/bellhousing, I was really happy that I could clean the clutch and have it working again.

acesneights1

ok, I'll go with another ceramic. What a waste that the whole thing was new. What do you think about just having the pressure plate resurfaced ? Or should I cry a little and toss it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you can get it machined flat, I'd do that. Heck, I've even re-used rusty pressure plates. Inspect it for heat cracks and if the machine shop thinks they can mill it and spin balance it, I'd go that route.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, the one man band thing really sets a tone here as well. My 12 yr old has been the crane operator (on the M1 0h eight) since he was 6. I'm too old to be climbing up and down on that thing. Hopefully my CUCV Wrecker project will take care of that. That PP may be salvagable. Kinda worth a try for me as these trannys (without PTO) can be on the ground in 40 minutes. Sucks about the seller but sometimes it happens. Hope the replacement engine was obtained at a good price.

rustystud

I gotta tell you I am not in love with that cheesy clutch disc. I would rather have a full disc.
So I am at a standstill until I get a new clutch and also determine if I can use the LDS oil pump or do I need to buy one for an LDT..
That clutch disc is actually superior to a fiber disc. The one who toasted it is a moron ! Most all heavy semi-rigs use a ceramic style disc as they can handle the extreme loads and heat . You just have to know how to drive with one. You don't slip the clutch with a ceramic disc.
As far as using the old flywheel, if you can have it ground with no heat cracks showing then use it .

ShearerLegal

If you're trying to save your pan from getting mangled on re-install, put the pan on after the engine. Take your skid steer and put the inside flat of the bucket under the corner of the right bumper. Left might work, too. Lift as high as skid steer will go before wheel comes off the ground. Usually skid steer won't have the grunt to lift it very far. Place wood blocks between frame and leaf spring. Reverse after reinstall of pan. Just did mine this way. Makes changing the pan a whole lot easier.

acesneights1

Any reason I can't take the clutch to a local truck parts for a new one or do I have to mail order from Surplus ? Buying local will save alot on shipping.

Vintage iron

glad to see the new motor has a good home and still laughing about seeing you gave the old soldier a proper funeral ;) I have taken 5 ton clutches to be rebuilt. it will save you money, if you can find a rebuild shop. Adjusting everything is in the TM.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a thought , being as this MV was ABUSED !!! I think you should " POP the Top" off the transmission and have a peak inside . Just for piece of mind . It's a lot easier to do something with the unit on the ground . Hate to see you put everything back and find a bad gear .

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see you got the clevis pin out for the clutch linkage. ;-)

Fun isn't it? That is, WITHOUT pulling too far and losing the pieces inside.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks