• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 or M35A3? Pro's and Cons of each

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to have an A3 if the prices continue to drop AND if I can find one without the funky riveted plate that holds the hood together! It looks like the tin man from the Wizard of OZ!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to have an A3 if the prices continue to drop AND if I can find one without the funky riveted plate that holds the hood together! It looks like the tin man from the Wizard of OZ!
Mine is one peice fiberglass.

I NEVER MET A MACHINE I DID NOT LIKE ONLY PEOPLE!

Maverick1701

I am a fan of both (I own an A2 becuase of price).
I have only driven an A3 w/the local VFD but they are fun to drive...

You should probably drive both before making a decision

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is one peice fiberglass.

I NEVER MET A MACHINE I DID NOT LIKE ONLY PEOPLE!
I've heard that about the ones down south, apparently we (Midwest) got some of the first produced A3s with the patched hood. Really makes the whole front end look like an afterthought.

my69camaro

We've had an A3 for a bit over a month now, have had A2's for a few years now.

I like that the A3 has electric wipers, heat, good seat, marker lights, muffler, easy reach master cyl fill, and if a winch truck its hydraulic. It's easy to drive and operate, winch is extra nice. Pulls real good in 3rd and 4th gear, maintains speed up hills. But 50mph sucks, and my CTIS always says Flat Tire when driving for some reason. We haven't worked it very hard yet so I don't know how it will hold up.

A2's are nice when we just want a cheap truck to beat on. But in town driving means lots of shifting. I view ours as just old farm trucks, if they die from abuse oh well they're cheap tools.

sandcobra164

I've got an A2 with all of the upgrades except the air assist steering at this point. I'll probably pick up an A3 for next to nothing soon but it will require a 6BT and a transmission as soon as I get it and the A2 WILL DRAG IT HOME. I do like that it's already set up for an intercooler with the grill extension. The A3's are pretty nice but they could have put in an extra gear in the trans. I'll know more in a couple of weeks, the one I'm looking at has a hole in the block and the current owner is not impressed. FWIW, I'd stick with the A2's unless your willing to upgrade the drivetrain. Mine's solid, albeit underpowered like most.

92RT-TT

Yeah the whole auto tranny is really a turnoff at this point and the cost of an A3 compared to an A2. I'm thinking I'll want to go A2, supersingle it, throw in air ride seats, install a pyro, turn up the fuel and enjoy it. (hopefully it already has heat being it should be an upper midwest truck w/a hardtop).

I'm currently bidding on an M105 trailer (1992 year) so assuming I win that I'll have the springs and the bed if I decide to bob it :D

wsucougarx

With trucks of this size I myself would not want an automatic. There's something to be said about using compression to slow you down esp with brake failure. I do have two late modelled M44A2 series trucks with split brake circuit. But you cannot be too safe with these trucks. To me, shifting adds to the experience of driving these old work horses. They are simple and easy to operate. Nothing follows the KISS method than a good ole aged A2:). Heck there are some 40+ years of service to prove this point on them:)

swampzr2

The A2 looks a **** of a lot better, and I like the manual trans.

The A3 has the Cat turbo motor and allison transmission.... I think that is a bullet proof set-up. If you buy an A3 they already have super single tires and most of them are running, so that means little work.

Its up to you, they both have their pro's and con's.

MATT

I haven't found it hard to find A3 parts. Which parts can't you find?

The CTIS sucks- remove it. It's easy to do.

I found the A3's are a lot faster off the line, I would rather have that then a higher top speed(A2).

By the time you add air assist steering, a muffler if you like, super singles, convert to spin on oil filters, a better seat and fix all the oil leaks on a A2 haha, you coulda bought a A3 just the same.

Someone nailed it, if you have the money- buy an A3.

wsucougarx

By the time you add air assist steering, a muffler if you like, super singles, convert to spin on oil filters, a better seat and fix all the oil leaks on a A2 haha, you coulda bought a A3 just the same.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k[/media]

92RT-TT

Test drove my first A2 today. Had the Whistler turbo and a soft top. Man am I in love!!!

The fuel was turned up already in this one and it seemed to have pretty good getup and go, no problem getting up to 60 even on significant hills. The turbo and exhaust sound? Dont even get me started, it was amazing! I love the little bit of black smoke too when you really get on it hehe.

Steering, not the greatest, but I could always add a hydro assist setup someday.

Oh and in other news I just won an m105a2 from GL today! I gotta figure out how/when to pay for it/pick it up.

Let the addiction begin!

wsucougarx

I found the A3's are a lot faster off the line, I would rather have that then a higher top speed(A2).
Faster off the line? Are we still talking about 13k lb CARGO TRUCKS? Why would being faster off the line in a CARGO TRUCK be beneficial? I must be getting old and crusty. ;-)

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Faster off the line? Are we still talking about 13k lb CARGO TRUCKS? Why would being faster off the line in a CARGO TRUCK be beneficial? I must be getting old and crusty. ;-)
To get the ladies wsu! They wont be able to hear your pickup lines but at least your truck will be fast! rofl

maynard83

I was wondering about that too. I guess you can say "Chicks dig the trucks that are faster off the line" ?!?

Personally I prefer the manual transmission of the A2 for multiple reasons such as the most obvious one: "Chicks dig a man who can shift their sticks"

altoids

I haven't found it hard to find A3 parts. Which parts can't you find?

The CTIS sucks- remove it. It's easy to do.

Someone nailed it, if you have the money- buy an A3.
Hard to find wheel bearings for a reasonable price is one. $980 for ONE inner bearing. It's crazy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks