• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 paint and marking questions

panzerjunky

Hello Gents
I am working on a motorpool like restoration project just a little neater and cleaner and am at a point where I am ready to start putting on some detail and markings.
My truck is a 1971 and I am painting it in the 4 color cammo of that era exept with only 3 colors ( like my avatar) I am trying to keep the truck as close to as it left the military as possible and in the paint job it left with they left out the sand color paint .
so now it will be field drab, forrest green and black.
To get to my point
on a 1970 era truck would you have seen the flat white on the bumperetts with the unit info painted on that as well as white front bumper tips with the same info?
I recall seeing this when I was in in the early 1980's
as well as the shackles were painted white.
On the tail light brackets there is the service and emergency plates are the plates black with white letters and the dot is red or yellow depending on the side?
I also seem to remember on the outside of the bumperetts from where the tail light bracket mounts to about 3 to 4 inches in front of that there was a red or yellow stripe showing service or emergency .
Has anyone seen this combo or have other Ideas/
Thanks Jerry

panzerjunky

Hey Thanks Mike
I did know the pattern was called Merdoc and thanks for your pics as it shows another example of the merdoc pattern with only 3 colors although I dont see any off colored bumperetts. or front bumpers.
For the life of me I cant remember where I saw that .
Thanks Jerry

panzerjunky

I have the MERDC on my '88 M35A2C as well. I'm still scratching my head on why it has that color scheme as that was in the era of 3 color NATO
Hey Mike when did the 3 color nato start as I got out in 86 and they were still using Merdoc far as I know. P.s nice truck like the paint. Did it have the lift here stencils on it or did you add that/
Thanks Jerry

wsucougarx

I know the camouflage manuals were updated in 1988 and 1990 to reflect the new 3 color NATO camouflage. As far as when they initiated, I'm really not sure. My '68 Tooele rebuild M35A2 as CARC'd in SEP90. I did put the lift here stencil on. I printed the template off on card stock and used an exacto knife. I also did that for the diesel tank do not overflow stencil as well. Needless to say, my hand was pretty sore from cutting out all those stencils:)

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was in the Army all of 1970-71 stationed in Germany 2/36th Inf 3rd Armored Div. I never saw anything except semi-gloss OD. I'm not sure when they went to camo.

goldwing2000

Banned
Hey Mike when did the 3 color nato start as I got out in 86 and they were still using Merdoc far as I know. P.s nice truck like the paint. Did it have the lift here stencils on it or did you add that/
Thanks Jerry
I just read somewhere that camo paint schemes started in 1975. But it's worth mentioning that while your truck was built in 1971 (same as both of mine), it was in service long after that. I know for a fact that the Warbeast was in service until 2008, as a good friend of mine was actually in the Army until 2005 and the truck was from his batallion! He called some friends and found that the truck was sent to DRMO as unservicable because one floor board was rusted through.
Anyway... how you paint your truck is completely dependent on what era you wish to represent.

ProudAmerican

Hello Friends - just bought a clean 1969 M35A2 / Deuce and Half ! I am a Vietnam Veteran ( 1969 to 12970 ) - only markings I seen in Vietnam was the OD with white markings !
I am trying to find the correct size and information on the Markings !
Front Bumper ( passenger to Driver ) II F.F. 32 F 2A15 What size ? 3 or 4inch lettering ?

Rear Bumper ? Driver side - II F.F. on Top ? 32 F on Bottom ? size ? Passenger side 2 A on Top ? Bottom 32 F ? size ?

What about markings on Fuel Tank ? Black ? Battery Box markings ? Black ?

Hood markings ? U.S. Army - serial numbers 3 or 4inches ? My serial number has 9 numbers - starts with 0 and ends with 649 - someone mentioned the last 2 numbers is the year of the truck !

Confused - trying to detail it out as in Vietnam ! Ralph Jones

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kind of paint do you guys recommend? Where is the best place to buy it? Best way to apply it? Color I.D.? Any input would be great!
www.rapcoparts.com

You can either buy the paint in spray cans or by the gallon. I just got done using spray cans to 3-color camo a cj5. It turned out great but if I were painting something as big as a deuce I'd use a spray gun on at least the base color.

GrizzlyEater

Are there patterns available or just free hand it? Also I would love to put on the bumpers "Infidel" in Arabic, is there a place that makes custom stencils for the M35A2?

phil2968

Hood markings ? U.S. Army - serial numbers 3 or 4inches ? My serial number has 9 numbers - starts with 0 and ends with 649 - someone mentioned the last 2 numbers is the year of the truck !
I believe the hood number was the Army registration number that was assigned to your truck. Should be the 5 digit number on the inside of door.
As far as size and color, there are threads on here that have vintage pics showing lots of trucks. Try the new Google search.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are there patterns available or just free hand it? Also I would love to put on the bumpers "Infidel" in Arabic, is there a place that makes custom stencils for the M35A2?
There are official patterns but I don't recall the publication number. A quick search should turn up some results.

nchittendon

I believe the hood number was the Army registration number that was assigned to your truck. Should be the 5 digit number on the inside of door.
As far as size and color, there are threads on here that have vintage pics showing lots of trucks. Try the new Google search.
I've recently found this while searching the interwebz......this might help answer some questions. I know it did for me!
http://www.militarytrader.com/milit...jeep_and_am_general_2_12-ton_truck_production