• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2C circa 1968 Strange Bracket

brianp454

M35A2C circa 1968 Strange Bracket

My M35A2C has a pair of brackets (one on each side behind the cab) that are really rods with two brackets similar to the Jerry can mount strap brackets, except that they are narrower, say for a ¾ inch wide strap. It seems like they could be used to allow full length shovels or long gear that cannot fit on the Pioneer Rack. They could be used as tie-down and strap the gear down to the top of the frame rails. To the best of my knowledge this was a California National Guard truck. Any ideas what there are? Are they unique to the "C" bed trucks or are they on all of them?

Passenger’s side view:

130609 M35A2C Mystery Bracket Passengers Side.jpg

Driver’s side view:
130609 M35A2C Mystery Bracket Drivers Side.jpg

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is where the horizontal pieces from your rear cargo cover bows get stowed when not in use.
They go from one side to the other and then get strapped on both sides.
I strap my tow bar in there.
The uprights with corners attached go in the mall rectangle holes in the lip of the bed frame next to the cab.

brianp454

Thanks for the great responses! I’ve only had my truck a few months and still on a steep learning curve. I usually leave the top portion of the bows laying in the yard or against the fence when not in use. Now I know better.

I mount the verticals and corners in the front of the bed all the time, especially when hauling dirt or stuff that makes me want to stand in the bed. I hate the way the verticals don’t have a guide at the bottom so that they fall over and look silly; would prefer they stay straight. May design a bracket to do that… Pics attached. Ideas?

130610 M35A2C Verticals Mounted in Bed Cab View.jpg130610 M35A2C Verticals Mounted in Bed Top View.jpg

Wow! A 49 page TM for Jerry cans. I think that illustrates the trouble with the TM’s – there are so many of them and so much info you don’t need. Digging through the minutia can be quite a chore. I feel like they are like looking for a needle in a haystack. Some guys on here get really spun up about the TMs, but I don’t see the point. It’s not like nowadays when people don’t even read the Quick Start Guide and just jump in and have trouble.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are volumes of manuals that support these trucks; engines, runnig gear, equipment, etc, the one you really need and will answer all the operational questions is the "operators" TM. Get a copy for your specific truck series/model and keep it in the glove box. A lot of good info on the safe operation of these vehicles.
JC

brianp454

If your uprights are falling over, you don't have the correct headboard!
Hmmm, I don't see how this is so. Pics attached.

130610 M35A2C Verticals in Bed  Driver Side Upper View.jpg130610 M35A2C Verticals in Bed  Driver Side Lower View.jpg

My verticals just fit in the rectangular cutouts in the front end of the bed. The issue I see is that not all degrees of freedom are restrained. In other words, if you stand in the bed and look forward the verticals have little to no control of pitch (in terms of pitch, roll, and yaw). In even simpler words, they can easily twist so that they lean over to the right or left and usually do, per my earlier picture. How can this be the wrong head board? And what is the headboard?

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was this my truck? If so, it doesn't have the correct headboard.

The dropside headboard has some channels in it that the uprights pass through before they go into the bed.

brianp454

Yes, this was your truck. I told you I've been taking care of her! Have you seen any of my other posts?

And how does it have the wrong headboard? It seems a tough thing to mix up...

Was this my truck? If so, it doesn't have the correct headboard.

The dropside headboard has some channels in it that the uprights pass through before they go into the bed.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, this was your truck. I told you I've been taking care of her! Have you seen any of my other posts?
I have now - neat to see photos of it.

And how does it have the wrong headboard? It seems a tough thing to mix up...[/QUOTE]

Its a non dropside headboard - It came that way when I got it. The dropside deuces have different headboards and side troop seats. I seem to remember that the truck also had a non dropside troop seat corner without the brace bracket. My guess is who I got it from put what they had on hand on the truck.

brianp454

A lot of folks don't read the manual, be it for a new mower or a 45 year old truck.
Is there a TM for having mismatched parts? Maybe I'll just print them all and put them in the glove box. Uh! Have you seen the glove box? How do ya fix a gazillion pages in that? Maybe print them in mouse font on ultra-nada-thin paper made of unobtanium?

Some of the replies are MUCH more useful than others.

I suppose I'm going to have to inspect an M35A2 and then an M35A2C closely and sort it out. Then perhaps there's a TM for headboards, waterbeds, and comfort number mattresses....

Jeff Nelson

Brian, welcome to the world of forums. You should have seen the flak I got when I asked about brush guards on my new-to-me Deuce. Buried between the guys just wanting to push the "search and you will find it" agenda (which I had already tried), or the "look in the TM" (which I had already tried), was the answer. Just wade through the useless and retain the useful. Except for the occasional grumps who think patients and patience are the same thing, and won't ever be happy about anything, most guys here are just giving you a good-natured bad time. Incidentally, I do like your reply. Humor mixed with a little seriousness gets the point across nicely.