• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52a2 aia to air intercooler

jwaller

Still planning to play with a air or electric clutch for the fan if i have time got a big list of things to do and add, also for the M818 question , i almost got a M818 and whats planning to turbo and intercool the engine or use the aftercooler from the 315-400HP 855 engine and does parts are every where or the 290HP 855 series engines turbo manifold and make a air to water its pertty symple i think, cost depends how munch youe able to do and find good parts source
thanks
all that stuff will work but its 6" higher than the hood.

tm america

great job i wonder if you would have as much drop in boost if you would have run a smaller innercooler ?i wonder how much power you were able to get out of it with the innercooler and turning up the fuel?did you notice an increase in mpg after the mod.i have my fuel turned up on my deuce with a ldt i'm running over 25psi boost and know i need to get the egt down if i want it to live

panzerwillie

the intercooler is small compare to whats on trucks out there like a dodge cummins or a powerstroke, after driving it for a while now the drop in boost is about a 1lb, did not notice any difrents on turbo spool up {lag} there is a great notice on power gain, as far as MPG have not calculater that yet it apears to be the same, have not turn the pump up yet, have not figure how to do it yet, but i also have a waste gated turbo so i think will do the modifications to that firts however is got good power how it is thanks:-D

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
panzerwillie,

Thanks for the interesting post. I am surprised at the 100* drop in temps you were able to extract at highway loads!

I saw the temp sensor on the compressor output, but I did not see where you placed the manifold inlet sensor. Can you point it out for me in your photos?

Rick

jesusgatos

Looks pretty straightforward. I remember reading some posts in a thread where a few of the guys measured the air temps and they came to the conclusion that there wasn't much to be gained by adding an intercooler (because the water-cooled intake manifold is pretty effective), BUT I can't see any good reason NOT to add a front-mount intercooler like you've done. Unless maybe it would create more lag, or affect boost-pressure or something? But good job man. I like it.

whyme

sorry to bring back a dead post but after reading through this i noticed no mention of cold weather driving. i am interested in the possibilities offered by the intercooler but it would seem counterintuitive for those of us who may drive in cold weather. if the purpose of the heated intake system was to pre-heat the air for winter use then would i be correct in my assumption that this would be a very negitive effect durring months when your struggling to keep temps up in the engine?

Dan

panzerwillie

Well the heated jacket around the intake will only run to engine operating temperature , if you struggle to maintain a warm engine temps on winter then the water around the intake probably will never get hot enougth for the colder charge form the intercooler to make any difrents , if you dealing with very cold winters the intercooler is not what you would need as cold ambient temps is natural intercooler if i explaim my self well[thumbzup]