• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M715 with 4bt cummins

jaylsworth

Im glad more people are doing this conversion. We finished ours about 8 years ago and have put about 15,000 miles on it and are extremely happy with the result. We did all the work and engineering ourselves, including the 4 wheel disc brake conversion because helitool didn't have anything available yet. Gotta love the sound of the little Cummins!

ctrlaltdl

I like it! Everyone else I've seen have that problem just cut into the firewall. :-(

I have the Ford style which has the turbo on top, which was easier to clearance.

CHRIS UNGER

When I installed my 6bt my exhaust was too tight. All you have to do is die grind the weld off the sleeve on the exhaust cut about an inch out of it and reweld. Problem solved and is really easy.

nhdiesel

I put the 4bt in my Dodge Durango and have loved it for 2 1/2 years. We were getting 30 mpg until the ULSD got here, then it dropped to 27-28. Lots of fab work, especially for this swap...had to make a custom oil pan and brackets for the front diff, which is bolted to the engine on these vehicles.

For those considering a swap, everything from a Dodge Cummins 5.9 will bolt up- flywheel, flywheel housing, bellhousing, even front engine accessories. I have a Dodge P/S box, vacuum pump for my brakes, but I kept the GM alternator for simplicity. I could have bolted a Dodge one on.

You can also find adapters for GM or Ford transmissions, but they are harder to find and much more expensive.

Jim

bcowanwheels

ITS THE MOST EXPENSIVE swap you can do. its all custom fabrication , definatly not for beginners IMO hard to beat a good stock small block chevy. no it doesnt get 25mpg but its a weekend swap and just about anybody can do it.

kevin-m1008

Bob,
I have a 68 M715 and have a 4bta that's going into it, once I sell the 454 that is currently in it.

I was going to cut the firewall for exhaust clearance. were you able to just flip the exhaust manifold or did you have to modify it?

also i wanted to make sure I understand that your truck is getting 25mpg? if so that's very nice!

Thanks,
Kevin
PS I remember you over at the m715 site too bad things did not work out for you there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks