• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M747 Manual Needed

mdcarriers

I just saw a post on another forum saying the guy got his first EUC back in 19 days. I will just wait for that email. I Will probably change out the kingpin on the trailer when I get there. I currently have fifth wheel for a 3" kingpin and the trailer shows 3.5 ".

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A lot of fifth wheel pins are built as a unit with the plate and the reinforcing web all as one, in fact someone here on SS has the built fifth wheel plates with 2" pin for sale in the classifieds

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I would think long and hard about cutting off one kingpin and welding on or otherwise attaching another one on....especially a trailer like the M747. The safe way to do this is to put the correct sized 5th wheel on your tractor.

DMgunn

I have always thought the M747's were just plain sexy. Fortunately I haven't been able to think of an excuse.....errr, reason to own one, cause that would mean also having to buy a truck that could pull it. Anyone know of a smaller, but similar-looking trailer that would work behind a 5-ton tractor? Hmmmm, I'm already overwidth...

Last edited:

M1075

Wreckerman, you are probably right about the kingpin. I'll just buy another truck and set it with the 100 ton 3.5 in fifth wheel.
I have never hooked a M747 to a M920, but I think that would be your best option. You might also consider a M916A1, as they seem to be readily available now too. With a military tractor, you are going to "slide under the radar" a lot easier! A M747 behind a civilian truck is going to look plain silly and will draw a lot of attention.

ichudov

M920

I'll check it out. I measured the kingpin on my other trailer and it was 3 inches diameter.
The kingpin diameter is measured at the smalest part of the shaft so I think yours that you measured on your other trailer is a 2" . I am not aware of a 3" kingpin. The sizes jump from 2" to 3.5"

Also, I looked at my XM747 and it would be a very big job to change out the kingpin on that trailer. It is all welded in to the fifth wheel plate and covered with cross members.
The fifthwheel hight is supposed to be 65" and remember that the trailer has a folding, not a crank type landing gear. That means, that if your truck is not tall enough to lift the trailer of the landing gear, when backing under it, you will not be able to retract the gear!
The width of the trailer can be reduced to 120" by taking off the outer wheels, but be aware that it uses the hub piloted type wheels that are both held in place with just the outer lug nuts. (So you can't just drive the inners on a block to remove the outers)

Hope this helps, I know this trailer in and out, so feel free to call me if you have any questions (505) 787-9961

Soni

M920

I have never hooked a M747 to a M920, but I think that would be your best option. You might also consider a M916A1, as they seem to be readily available now too. With a military tractor, you are going to "slide under the radar" a lot easier! A M747 behind a civilian truck is going to look plain silly and will draw a lot of attention.
M920A1 and XM747 work like peas and carrots....:jumpin:

mdcarriers

Wow, this is just a great place to get all kinds of valuable information. What I am looking for at this point is a used 100 ton fifth wheel for the 3.5 " kingpin on that trailer. Anyone know where someone may be parting out a truck or one is just laying around, please let me know.

M1075

Wow, this is just a great place to get all kinds of valuable information. What I am looking for at this point is a used 100 ton fifth wheel for the 3.5 " kingpin on that trailer. Anyone know where someone may be parting out a truck or one is just laying around, please let me know.
I should have one available soon.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
there was one, if not two in the CLASSIFIDES, one off a m920, the other off a m916

Last edited:

fasttruck

Changes ? Very low serial # M 747s had stud piloted wheels same same M 127, M809 etc. At some point they switched to hub piloted wheels with one shouldered lug nut per stud. Some trailkers had radial and others bias tires. Was in a unit with both types of wheels and tires in the fleet and wheel and tire compatability problems were a nightmare. . .

M920

Changes ? Very low serial # M 747s had stud piloted wheels same same M 127, M809 etc. At some point they switched to hub piloted wheels with one shouldered lug nut per stud. Some trailkers had radial and others bias tires. Was in a unit with both types of wheels and tires in the fleet and wheel and tire compatability problems were a nightmare. . .

If you can get me the 3 diget serial number of your trailer I can tell you which type wheels it has.

Soni

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks