• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M809 hood latch

Truckoholic

Okay...... you know how when you don't know how something is SUPPOSED to look, you are not sure whether it is right or not? Well this is how my M813's hood latch is right now, and this is how it was when I bought it. But since I have never seen one before, I do not know if this is correct or not.
IMG_20110721_184302.jpgIMG_20110721_184317.jpg

I've been using the torch to heat, and bend other pieces of metal straight again, but this particular part, I am not sure what it is supposed to look like. Whether that part is bent intentionally to provide a ramp of sorts for the hood latch to be forced backwards and down by, or not. Anyone got a close up picture of what it's supposed to look like?

I've got most of the old paint sandblasted off now. Got me some Gillespie paint, and gonna be painting this thing the three color camo within the next couple weeks.

And yes, I realize the radiator protector screen is not there. I took it and the grill off so I could sandblast them without blasting the radiator with sand, and just haven't put it back in yet.

IMG_20110721_182644.jpg

M813A1

NO the piece of metal is supposed to be turned that way !! It is ramped that way for the latch to move backwards as you close the hood !!

Okay...... you know how when you don't know how something is SUPPOSED to look, you are not sure whether it is right or not? Well this is how my M813's hood latch is right now, and this is how it was when I bought it. But since I have never seen one before, I do not know if this is correct or not.
View attachment 262803View attachment 262804

I've been using the torch to heat, and bend other pieces of metal straight again, but this particular part, I am not sure what it is supposed to look like. Whether that part is bent intentionally to provide a ramp of sorts for the hood latch to be forced backwards and down by, or not. Anyone got a close up picture of what it's supposed to look like?

I've got most of the old paint sandblasted off now. Got me some Gillespie paint, and gonna be painting this thing the three color camo within the next couple weeks.

And yes, I realize the radiator protector screen is not there. I took it and the grill off so I could sandblast them without blasting the radiator with sand, and just haven't put it back in yet.

View attachment 262805

looks to me like your safety latch has been bent straight. look at the other pics in this thread and you will see how it should have a hook to it.

NickAir

Brian made it possible for me to get a hood safety latch NIB for my M818. Mine was broke and welded and broke again. Got it on ebay 1 hour before closing for 9 bucks. Thanks Brian.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks