• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 cold start

h1x2

Hey guys

Somewhat new to this forum and I'm still getting use to it. I tried some searches but I apologize if this is a repeat...

Bought my 5 ton straight out of a government rebuild. The cold start worked pretty good. I made the mistake of leaving it on for maybe a half hour and now it's not working. I'm trying to figure out what I burned up. The red light comes on still but it now goes real dim.

I also saw a cross reference for a block heater from napa that I'm going to install. Where on the block does that get installed? Right or left side?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Grant

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cold start glowplug is a 12v unit wired to only one battery. You probably have one drained battery.

Use a volt meter and check all 4 batteries.

Charge the dead battery.

Standard block heaters for NHC-250 motors,replace one of the water jacket covers on the passenger side.

h1x2

The cold start glowplug is a 12v unit wired to only one battery. You probably have one drained battery.

Use a volt meter and check all 4 batteries.

Charge the dead battery.

Standard block heaters for NHC-250 motors,replace one of the water jacket covers on the passenger side.

Thanks for the reply. I'll check it out