• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M870A1 Recovery with Tru-Hitch

M1075

Thanks to a tip from local SSer Hoopsoft, I bought a rough M870A1 trailer from a guy less than 10 miles away from my shop. Last night, I fired up the M915A1 and Tru Hitch to go and recover it (in the dark). The trailer is in desperate need of some TLC. No kingpin, no decking, no brakes, no lights, no data plates, no spare, horrible tires, etc. It will take some time and $$$ to bring her back to life.

Since you don't just find that kingpin at your local truck stop, I went ahead and used the ultimate tow wagon to get it home. The pics are below. Earlier in the day, Warthog helped me recover a GSA M52A2 with it. Handy I tell ya!

Attachments

Bighurt

Yeah it looks like the gooseneck was sandblasted and replaced. There is not one inch of air line or wire for lights on the trailer. Tires are 11x15 or 11R15.
You have 11R15 tires on the M915...

I'm pretty certain those are 395/85r20 tires mounted on FMTV rims on the M915A1, I could be mistaken.

M1075

You have 11R15 tires on the M915...

I'm pretty certain those are 395/85r20 tires mounted on FMTV rims on the M915A1, I could be mistaken.
Oh yeah, you are right. I was too focused on the trailer needs. The truck has Goodyear MVT 395/85R20 tires. They are awesome. Wish I had several dozen more! BTW, that is your M871 trailer keeping the M870A1 company. :razz:

Bighurt

Oh yeah, you are right. I was too focused on the trailer needs. The truck has Goodyear MVT 395/85R20 tires. They are awesome. Wish I had several dozen more! BTW, that is your M871 trailer keeping the M870A1 company. :razz:
I need to get me a set of wheels, but I need a bunch of tires cause I want 395's on my M35 as well.

I noticed my trailer, even showed the wife, she said "You're a dork". I told her I was just going to tell you to put my trailer on the 870 and I'll tow them both home...obviously some repairs need to be done...LOL

She didn't object but I doubt you'll part with your new found toy.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you need trailer tires, or 395 MVT's for that matter, look up noflats.com, they are the scrap tire contract holder, the Houston store had rows of the 15" LPT trailer tires today. I got a pair of MVT's and HEMTT rims for the front of my M916 from them today. All is cheap.

I think I recognize your trailer as one from RRAD (Hooks), they started to reman it and stopped for some reason after blasting the neck. Better check really deep for cracks or something.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Better check really deep for cracks or something.
They are bad to rust through the frame toward the back where the frame goes up right ahead of the axles. There's a crossmember there that traps mud, dirt, and water. If it's not already rusted out, you need to keep that area cleaned out.

M1075, Do you need the kingpin dimensions? I can measure mine if it helps.

R Racing

I actually was talking about the tru hitch, LOL The M870A1 is to wide for what I would need. Would love to have 1 just with the wideload permits a bit much for me.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually was talking about the tru hitch, LOL The M870A1 is to wide for what I would need. Would love to have 1 just with the wideload permits a bit much for me.
GL sold a couple of them a few weeks ago. ~$7000.00 each.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks