• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m915's at Saginaw (FT Worth Tx) questions

hoopsoft

Well a buddy and I won a couple m915's, but after it was won, my buddy noticed I have an access panel on the floor that is open which scares me to death.

We'd like to take a peek at them. The trucks are about 3.0 hours from us, not a big deal, however; we have to go through the Hooks folks, and they said you can see it, if you show us the paid for EUC. (I guess hooks is 3.5 hours from where the trucks are at also and they don't like going there.)

Anyone know of a way to get on that reserve base to check it out, GL says sorry. Also, there were several of these and if any of you scrappers are gonig to toss your truck, we are missing 8 wheels and tires, (which you can't scrap tires anyway) we'd be glad to get those from you.

Last edited:

StreetbikeDepot

I think its stupid that there is no contact person at Saginaw, only the lot manager at Hooks which is 3.5hrs away. I guess GL has nothing better to do than to send Hooks personal on a 7 hour round trip drive to load out 19 trucks......Tards. Who knows how many trips that will be.

The lot manager at Hooks said that's why they had only a one day preview of which only 2 people showed up.

Last edited:

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I delt with Red river & hooks Tx & they are no fun to deal with.
When ECU finished go get your prize & enjoy.
As for Tires & wheels 11 R22.5 BUD wheel Inner nut & outer nut on the rear RT & Left THREAD Front is just & nut L&R also do not use hub pilot wheels it can end up in a bad day
TCI Tire might have what your looking for.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wheels are just everyday 10 hole Budd 22.5's that any truck junk yard will have plenty of. Anyone who has buyer's remorse PM me because I have loser's remorse. The Saginaw RSMS site does not have a DRMO operation, it is a civilian run rebuild facility for military trucks of the Texas Guard. They have better things to do than help us poor soles push our dead trucks up onto gooseneck trailers. Loaded out there about 8 years ago. Poor GL girl had to drive up from GL Ft Hood at the time. Don't go if it has been raining within a week.

KsM715

What a F***ing crock that you cant go look at a truck the YOU already paid for. This paying before the EUC BS has to stop. Wheres the Govt. at when these so called capitalist aka GL is f***ing the little man and his money?

Sorry for the rant but bs like this pisses me off. GL can get the govt to move trucks all over the country but they wont pay for one persons day wages to drive over there and let the rightfull owner of the truck pre-or post-view it. And dont give me that "its in the fine print contract and you signed up for it" crap. We know that, but something has to change.

:rant:

and............nopics:razz:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL can get the govt to move trucks all over the country but they wont pay for one persons day wages to drive over there and let the rightfull owner of the truck pre-or post-view it.

Easy, KS, GL did have a preview day, Tuesday the 18th. I could not make it due to work pressures. Here is a pic of one of the trucks in typical condition. Not a pretty sight. If it were me, I would plan on flat towing out or sending a Landoll trailer to suck it up.

Attachments

StreetbikeDepot

Not all the trucks where that rough, here are my two. One with only 13k miles and the other has 140k, I noticed that the 140k truck has the brakes caged and the other doesn't. I plan to drive out the low mileage truck and tow bar the other.

Attachments

Last edited:

StreetbikeDepot

Me and Hoopsoft drove our trucks off the lot yesterday and back home, we learned a few valuable lessons during the trip.

1] I assumed that I could towbar another 915 behind mine but found out that the medium towbars will not hook up......too narrow and too small diameter pin. But we where still able to use it by utilizing the recovery ring as a tow bar feet, I was't crazy about it but it worked. The towed truck moves around alot which was unerving sometimes.

2] I also assumed that I could tow that truck back while relying on only the brakes on the front truck WRONG I almost blew right through the first intersection........interconnecting the brakes is a MUST! We had the lines with us so no big deal.

3] While I'm not 100% sure what caused me too jacknife while cornering (in a huge texas sized intersection BTW) we believe it was a combination of the tow bar angle and only running singles on the back of my pull tractor. No damage done to any POV's but I did bend the pintle down on my truck. Quite scary situation though having two 915's spin 90+ degrees around halfway though an intersection turn tha landed me on a median, and it was AMAZING that I didn't hit anyone. I was able to back out of it and drive through before the green light truned red though! So I didn't hold up to much traffic.

3) It was mentioned before that the 915's had 22.5 wheels, not true, they where originally equiped with 11.00-20's as two of our trucks where equipment, and one had 22.5's.

All in all it was a good trip, took longer than expected but it was still a one day trip to get 3 trucks back from Sagianw Tx to OKC area. My truck ran AWESOME! I pulled back the other 915 and other than it moving around alot I couldn;t tell it was back there. That truck runs 75mph at 2200 RPM, cruises at 66 MPH at 1800-1900 RPM. The 16sp cat tranny worked flawless. My truck sure seems to run better than most guys have led on that they do, the manager at Saginaw said that our truck came from Europe I wonder if they where set up differently than others?

Also som gee whiz info......GL was out there lotting 75 more m915's and m915A1's that should be listed in a couple weeks.

Last edited:

M1075

Wow, sounds like a wild trip! Glad you made it home okay. I wish I would have known of your plans and I could have covered all 4 of those lessons in advance! Maybe I can get in on the next trip.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, we need details and clarifications. Were you able to get one of the trucks to crank and run and that is the truck you used to towbar the other? What did it take, batteries? How about the next batch? Did you eyeball any of those? How were your trucks on rust? Have you driven a M915A1 with the Allison, and which truck do you prefer? Thanks for the report!

StreetbikeDepot

We where able to start up and drive two trucks with batteries, keys, fuel and one throttle arm. I did look at the upcoming trucks and they are nice trucks most of them being 3 color nato and where drove in. I didnt look at every single one obviously, I simply walked down the rows and picked out a handfull to look at. Each one that I looked at was complete, although the GL guy said that their are some that are missing seats.

As for the 915A1, I havent drove one but without an overdrive and only 5 ranges of gearing I would think that the trucks are limited. I drove my truck more today and I have to say that tranny is sweet.

I would like to know the reasoning behind the 915A1's having a different air intake.....did they feel that the 915's where too restrictive?

Reactions: NDT

hoopsoft

The electrical systems on those weren't great we had to jump across the solinoid even with good batteries to get a couple started, (the solinoid is behind a panel inside the cab on the dash).

Most of those trucks are missing the arm on the PT pump to hook the pedal to.. not sure why you would do that 3 of the 4 trucks had them missing. Nearly all the fuel tanks are completely dry.

The next trucks coming up are nicer than the last that just went through, or course than means they will probably sell for alot more too though.

If your thinking about buying any I would highly suggest you go preview them.

You don't have to worry about people swiping stuff off your trucks, they are locked up in a fenced area with a security gate, and they GL people never leave your side when your there.

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking what price range did these trucks go for? Did you happen to notice if any of the upcomming trucks were the 915A1's with the allison tranny? I missed
the nice one that M1075 had for sale and have kicked my self ever since. I see some listed
on G.L. now at Wright-Patterson and Ft Meade but thats to far for me. Also the ones at San
Antonio look to rough for me.

StreetbikeDepot

The trucks where in the 1500-2000 range, the upcoming trucks are a mix of 915's with 16 spd's and 915A1's with Allisons, the majority of them are in good shape. I expect them to go higher though since interest is starting to go up on these trucks and the GL manager said that he was going to list them in various magazines and other sites online to drum up more bidders.

Some more gee whiz info......the lot manager said that GL had $1400 invested in each truck on that last sale.

Thanks fo the info StreetbikeDepot! I am dying to get my hands on the 915A1! I've looked at some but they had rust on top of rust. I would like to get a nice one the only problem is
that would be a long way for me to preview the trucks. Maybe they'll post good pics and I'll
take a chance on one. Hopefully it would be a "running" truck so I could drive it home, I'd rather not have to pay the high freight bill getting one home, although break downs get
quite costly too. Any idea when those trucks might come up at auction?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks