• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 steering shaft U joints

Punisher666

So after an hour of searching I came up with nothing. The u joints in my steering shaft are completely whooped. Are these replaceable or is an entire shaft needed to fix this issue? Any part numbers or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Jason4604

am pretty sure they would be standard U Joints I am looking to buy a truck. If you took one out and took the joint to a heavy truck parts place like kenworth or freightliner ect I am sure they could match something up. the main thing is the cap diameter and the distance across the cross. To get them out there is usually "C" clips on the inside of the yoke Press them out. Use a socket just a bit smaller that the cap and one larger than the cap on the other side and use a C Clamp to press them out. Note Mark the yoke position on the yoke and steering box and place it in the same position you took it off there is usually a nut and bolt at the steering box if you remove the nut and bolt you can slide the lower yoke off and some times there is a slip yoke cause the shaft is in 2 pieces (On most non military trucks they are I cant remember if military trucks have a 2 piece or not) if they are a 2 piece mark both ends and remove the nut and bolt and slide the lower half off and then slide the lower section of the shaft off if you don't feel comfortable removing the U joint some can be sticky you can take the lower part and they can press them out and put the new one in for ya they are pretty easy to do. I recommend Spicer Universal joints they are a bit more expensive but I find they hold up the best.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The U-joints for the steering column can be had for about $10 a piece on Ebay. There are several listings to choose from and some accept Best Offers. Search "2520-00-352-2168" on Ebay and make sure to include the dashes.

I have a couple of NOS shafts with the joints and yokes but you'd come out way cheaper just doing the joints. They're not that bad to do. Just make sure the slip joint and splines are in good condition when you remove it. No sense in replacing the U-joints if the slip joint is all wobbly too.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
In case u cant open it. The precision u joint number is 861. Any part place can use that part number for their brand

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks