• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931A1 vs M931A2 - Dang at 57 years old I still can't make decisions on my own! HELP!

joesco

Ok guys, here is my dilemma, I am on the search for an M900 series tractor to bob. I have found three nice rigs, M931A1's (owned by fellow SS members, btw, thank you for responding to my numerous calls, pm's and emails) 2 are in PA and one is in MD. That's 450 to 550 miles from the homestead in NH.

Shipping and / or driving back and forth or for that matter flying down and driving back is going to be a major hassel and an added expense. Was about to make a decision on one of those units and then yesterday I found a M931A2 right in my own backyard, about 80 miles away. If fact, when I talked to the Seller, he said he may have an A1 available!!! Let's leave that aside for now.

Now, as usual, with the help of this forum, my research have found some differences / upgrades from the M931A1's and A2's, i.e., a Cummings Turbo, Winch, larger super singles, is there anything else I am missing??

The 931A1 in MD is the best priced truck, but it doesn't have Super Singles and it is 550 miles away. Adding super singles and shipping, I am going to be into it for about $8kish. One of the PA trucks has Super Singles but then I need to get it up here so that puts me into for a bit less than $8k. The other rig in PA is closer to $8400.00 has super singles, but I still have to get up here, so that's off the list now.

So best case scenario is PA truck number 2, But now I am thinking do I drop the additional Dinars (Iraqi dollars, only kidding) on the M931A2. Is the $1 - $1.5k worth the upgrades, being able to see it and test drive it and not having to deal with the hassle of transporting a 21,000lbs truck 400 or 500 miles??????????

I will really appreciate the opinions of the massive knowledge base on SS, so help this old man out!

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The A0 and A1's have the same motor NHC250 and the A2's have the newer Cummins with a turbo.
Tires, the A0's have the 11.00x20's on them and the A1's and the A2's have 14.00x20 on them.
The A2's have the CTIS tire air system on them, not a big fan of that. The enter wheel seal is a little hard to find, I have been told.
All the A2's are newer and most states you can not get Historic plates for them.

I would drive them and not have them shipped, 400 miles is not that far to drive. Shipping will be $3-4 a miles.

Anyway just my 2 cents on the trucks.

joesco

Great advice, yes a 90's vintage truck will not qualify for Antique plates in NH, WOW didn't think of that. I have discounted the M35A3's for the same reasons above, bearings and CTIS. Thank you again, did not know that either on the M931A2's. My big issue about driving a truck back is that I have a progressive muscle disease that causes painful spasms and twitching, if I sit or even stand for long periods. But a friend has offered to potentially do the drive back for me. Thanks very much!

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The CTIS is very simple to disable. The 8.3L is quieter, and starts much easier in cold weather. I would buy the A2.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I were getting one it would be the A2. Even though I like the sound of my 250 I think I would like the 8.3 even more.

joesco

Appreciate all the comments. I am going to have to do some additional research on reg/tag fees, but it seems the A2 gets A+++ on its drive train

joesco

John, you are at the top of the "out-of-New England" list!!! Of course this is all contingent on the selling of my 97 Jeep Wrangler. I can't fund anything like this outside of my "big boy toy fund". Thanks!

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you want to do with it? Is it going to be strictly a hobby truck? Or, are you planning to work it? If so, how? Hauling trailers on the highway...or hauling loads off road. I would need more info to make a reco. My first thought is...go with the cleanest truck. If you want the most power, stick with the trucks with 1100s. THe 6CTA is quiet. I like the motor...but an NHC250 that is running right has much more power from a dead stop. I have owned two M936A2s and, from a stop, it was like the trucks did not want to move. They did...but only grudgingly until the turbo got spooled up. Now, I also have an M925A2 that has 300 original miles...never rebuilt and never really touched...and that truck has power. But, I have an M927A1 with a rebuilt NHC250 that is brutally strong...the strongest running M939 series I have owned.

joesco

Bruce,
Thanks for the advice, the truck once bobbed will be my weekly/weekend driver, hobby truck. At some point, I would like to rig it up for a plow to take care of my 1800 feet of driveway and eliminate my 97 F250, but baby steps at this point.

What do you want to do with it? Is it going to be strictly a hobby truck? Or, are you planning to work it? If so, how? Hauling trailers on the highway...or hauling loads off road. I would need more info to make a reco. My first thought is...go with the cleanest truck. If you want the most power, stick with the trucks with 1100s. THe 6CTA is quiet. I like the motor...but an NHC250 that is running right has much more power from a dead stop. I have owned two M936A2s and, from a stop, it was like the trucks did not want to move. They did...but only grudgingly until the turbo got spooled up. Now, I also have an M925A2 that has 300 original miles...never rebuilt and never really touched...and that truck has power. But, I have an M927A1 with a rebuilt NHC250 that is brutally strong...the strongest running M939 series I have owned.

joesco

Thanks, so just come clarification, the only difference between the M931 and M931A1 are the Super Singles?

The A0 and A1's have the same motor NHC250 and the A2's have the newer Cummins with a turbo.
Tires, the A0's have the 11.00x20's on them and the A1's and the A2's have 14.00x20 on them.
The A2's have the CTIS tire air system on them, not a big fan of that. The enter wheel seal is a little hard to find, I have been told.
All the A2's are newer and most states you can not get Historic plates for them.

I would drive them and not have them shipped, 400 miles is not that far to drive. Shipping will be $3-4 a miles.

Anyway just my 2 cents on the trucks.

commandojeff

Yes you are correct. The only difference between the 931 and the A1 is the singles.

I would stay away from the A2 trucks solely for the fact that it is a newer truck and I can't get historic plates. And I have heard the CTIS is a troublesome system. But that can be easily overcome by disconnecting it.

But, that is not saying that I am against the A2 trucks. Simply that my purpose is different. I wanted something less complicated and the A1 seemed like the way to go. Good luck with your decision.

Also if I was going to be using the truck for work. I would probably get a truck with duals because it is a better height for trailers and working with. The height of the bed on a 923A1 is pretty unreasonable when trying to load things from the tailgate.

Just my opinion on the subject. They are all great trucks. Just a matter of what YOU want and what YOU will be using it for.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks