• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931A1 w/ Cummins NHC-250 won't start

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Typically the tire has to be repaired with a patch or plug for water to get in after a puncture. A sealed tire with no repairs made to it should not expose the chords and belts to moisture as they are sealed in multiple plys of rubber. Belts can shift and break causing blowouts with out moisture but typically will give you warning signs of being out of balance, pulling to one side, & visible deformity visible by the eye.

KaiserM109

You guys are over thinking the whole starter fluid thing, 939s are easy! get truck ready to fire, get in roll the window down take the can in your left hand, reach out and squirt a shot in the mushroom as you turn the engine over, this is much easier to do and safer for your engine than putting in after the filter. If you can't reach it from the seat as some of us can't, just spray before you sit down it still works. And it also works with the tapered screen around the mushroom.
I'm concerned about spray into the mushroom because there is so much pipe and air cleaner for it to go through.

This morning it wouldn't start again, and I removed the air cleaner to get to the pipe. I used starter fluid, LOTS of starter fluid, almost a whole can. The engine ran strictly on fluid for about 45 seconds before the diesel caught. Doing that through all that piping and the cleaner would have been a problem.

We are over discussing the tire bit. The tire was flat in GL when I picked up the truck. It could well have been moved around flat by GL flat. I pumped it up from the truck's compressor using a hose on a glad hand. The sidewall didn't look good then and I believe it let go within a couple hundred miles.

How the spare got mismatched is anyone's guess and not real important. There aren't many Michelin XL tires around and there was some work done on the truck, so I assumed they upgraded the 10 tires on the ground and forgot the spare.

The end of this story is the transmission went out 16 miles from the storage yard, costing me a last $375 for a flat bed tow. You should see a flatbed trailer that could load a 5 Ton:

Towed.jpg

Last edited:

Csm Davis

KaiserM109 you shouldn't need a half a can to get a 250 that ran the day before started even in single digit weather, you have a air leak in your fuel system, I would bet on it.

tobyS

I hope the tire blowout was only the one. Good luck with that issue.

How do you know this is an A1 and not basic? A1's have 14.00 singles.

Last edited: