• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M934 van on a bolster

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Probably not. The ones on it are 12-16.5s that are brand new basically. So was the whole trailer when I got it. They are rated at 12 ply. They should be fine with the weight (9262lbs as it sits right now just the box. )... 36" Humvee tires will fit but they almost touch. but are 10 ply tires. I kind want to keep it low to the ground. The ladder sits pretty well where it is and you can use the rear slide box on the trailer to step into the back without the ladder. Plus the box has a heck of a side profile. Keeping it lower to the ground would help all around I believe. With the box on a 5 ton on 14.00s its like driving a billboard and thinking your are going to fall over. It is sitting pretty level at the moment. I also think taller tires would put more tounge weight on it.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Got all my welds done today. Has 6 mounts. I think the welds look ok. I did tow it around for a little bit this evening. No issues pulling off the line and at 55 to 60 on the interstate it was just fine and tracked well even on grooved pavement. Also added a pics of the tires. Single load they are good for 4045lbs at 75psi. The box is around 9300 plus the 4000lb trailer so there isn't much wiggle room. May look into dualing it some type of way or going to a 14ply tire. I do like the fact that the box still has the spare tire crane cable lift system so you can load things into the back of a truck fairly easy.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Got all my welds done today. Has 6 mounts. I think the welds look ok. I did tow it around for a little bit this evening. No issues pulling off the line and at 55 to 60 on the interstate it was just fine and tracked well even on grooved pavement. Also added a pics of the tires. Single load they are good for 4045lbs at 75psi. The box is around 9300 plus the 4000lb trailer so there isn't much wiggle room. May look into dualing it some type of way or going to a 14ply tire. I do like the fact that the box still has the spare tire crane cable lift system so you can load things into the back of a truck fairly easy.
It's hard to tell from the pics, but are you confident enough with your welding to know that you have full penetration on those welds?

And it's not a big issue or anything unless a failure there at those welds might be trouble.

How do you read it all?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I may add bolts to it. But its 13" in length between the mounting angles and the bottom of the cross members. Straight bolting it would have snapped it in the long run on stopping and what not. You are limited as to how you can bolt something down. Plus 13" grade 8 bolts aren't something you can just go out and get. I did pick it up with an excavator with the top box lifts and no flex or anything not even a squeak. I used 3/4" plate and sticked it at around 275amps. It is on there pretty good. Using the 45 degree gussets It is well supported. I mean it is sitting where it needs to be and they are flush up against the skid It cant slide side or side. I mean heck the big thing is held onto the truck by 1/4" 90 degree mounts that are welded on and then bolted to each other. I may take it for an offroad test tomorrow to see what it does.

If I do have any breaks or stress on the mounts I have now I can always add more of the same mounts on the opposite side of the cross member and somewhere along the trailer and add a bolt down point.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much is the lunette rated for? There is as much weight on it, as there is on the axles. The box is pretty ridgid & the bolster flexes every which way. It will be an interesting combination for the rigid welds. They may hold, but fatigue the box sub frame. What ever the box weighs is one thing, but your not going camping with an empty box.