• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 Frame Extensions

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great pics showing the process. I wish I had all of your tools like the rolling seat, lift and porta power lol. Can't wait to get mine on now.
Being a one man show, the tools are a necessity. I couldn't have done this without them. The porta-power was the biggest help. The threaded holes were the ones that caused all the issues. There were only 3 between both rails that let me just thread the bolt in. The rest had to be manipulated with the porta-power to line them up. The placement of the holes is correct, but they were off just enough that i couldn't get the bolt started to draw them in. The side bolts went in fine.

As I said I think the main reason for this, and you will most likely run into this too, is that we are using new pieces that have never been stressed like the frame rails themselves. I'd like to hear from someone who has installed used rails as to whether they were easier to get lined up.

You get your rails yet?

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_20150328_152010_432.jpg

Had zero problems with the frame ext
And I like the warn install because it don't stick the bumper a mile out.
At the rally that would be the first thing to hang you up if you dropped off in a deep hole.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GoldnEagle helped install mine. Some of the holes were slightly off and he did drill and clean threads on others. Not sure if it was just a slight mis alignment welding in new nuts or just all the pieces being slightly off tweaked as I wanted and used the counterweight trays off a M936A2. Asking the winch, both extensions, trays, and frame to play nice required some drilling on a few holes. One back bolt on top by the hood did not play well so I used an old 7/16 engine connecting rod bolt I had stored away :) and a nut and passed it through the welded nut instead of using the 1/2 fastner as there was no way to tweak with out having to start over or remove hood and that was not in the work plan.:whistle:

4 different trucks plus mine as the winch was from one, all frame extensions from one wrecker, and the counterweight trays from 2 other wreckers so we had parts spam going on but it all "worked" out. :jumpin:

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 550593

Had zero problems with the frame ext
And I like the warn install because it don't stick the bumper a mile out.
At the rally that would be the first thing to hang you up if you dropped off in a deep hole.
I couldn't agree more on approach angles. I would have liked to go a little shorter on the extensions but it just won't work with the bumper design. I'd rather stay out of the deep stuff anyways (extra maintenance), instead blazing a new trail through the woods with some protection in the front. If I did get stuck maybe I could admit defeat and you could offer to pull me out, lol. I intend to be at the rally this year for the first time.

The Warn winch is the one I will go with. I just haven't decided where to put it. After the bumper and box are in place the location of the winch will become clear.

GoldnEagle helped install mine. Some of the holes were slightly off and he did drill and clean threads on others. Not sure if it was just a slight mis alignment welding in new nuts or just all the pieces being slightly off tweaked as I wanted and used the counterweight trays off a M936A2. Asking the winch, both extensions, trays, and frame to play nice required some drilling on a few holes. One back bolt on top by the hood did not play well so I used an old 7/16 engine connecting rod bolt I had stored away :) and a nut and passed it through the welded nut instead of using the 1/2 fastner as there was no way to tweak with out having to start over or remove hood and that was not in the work plan.:whistle:

4 different trucks plus mine as the winch was from one, all frame extensions from one wrecker, and the counterweight trays from 2 other wreckers so we had parts spam going on but it all "worked" out. :jumpin:
That makes me feel a little better knowing that I wasn't the only one with issues. That was actually the hardest part for me, getting the threaded holes lined up. That alone doubled the install time. I was putting the last bolt in while packing my lunch for work the next morning. I had figured I was going to at least get a little sleep that night, lol.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 550595
Here's a pic of front of mine swamp. I hope to see you there the GA rally is the best.
You got a sharp truck Coffey. Hopefully I can get my Go-light installed tomorrow night. It's been sitting there taunting me.

The rear tool boxes from a M931 fit really nice on the front of the winch extensions. This is what we did on my friends old M813.
Now that's slick! You have any pictures of the lower mounts?

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
20150321_175047.jpg

Here is a picture of it in raised position works really well to see all around the truck and in bed when cover is not on

I figured it would be the threaded on top and bottom to give all of the headaches. Still don't have the rails...I'm calling them tomorrow. I mean we are a neighboring state....they should have been here by now.

funny this thread just popped up. we are producing new extensions for the 809 and 939 trucks. the 809's are just about finished the 939's should be done this coming week. will also have new winch side plates or both as well.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, those are the factory tiedowns. Basically just a 1/2" diameter U-bolt. The kit in the picture was a modification kit and is what I have installed now. Much mo better.

Screenshot_2016-10-12-06-34-06.jpg