• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 HMMWV Off Road Uses

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe a HMMWV owner can tell me why I should sell my 2 CUCV's that are street legal, cheaper to purchase, maintain and operate and get me anywhere in the woods that I need to go? Other than emotional "Cool" factor I don't get it? Am I missing something?
Honestly Steve, the "rawness" of the HMMWV along with its ease of operation are what attracted me. The flexibility of the configurations and the off-road capabilities are just superior to the converted commercial vehicles (CUCV). More basic work and upkeep, sure. But I am really really glad that I did buy one.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I agree they'll go just about anywhere. I think I have PTHE (Post Traumatic HMMWV Experiences) of sitting hours and hours with the roof leaking water, heater not blowing enough heat, wishing I could drive cause it was a more comfortable seat with less likelihood of giving you a roid, and having to do that rear ground guide thing in the middle of the night with 12 inches of wet snow and 20 mph winds.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree they'll go just about anywhere. I think I have PTHE (Post Traumatic HMMWV Experiences) of sitting hours and hours with the roof leaking water, heater not blowing enough heat, wishing I could drive cause it was a more comfortable seat with less likelihood of giving you a roid, and having to do that rear ground guide thing in the middle of the night with 12 inches of wet snow and 20 mph winds.
The crosses a commander has to bear........You definitely had the worst part of the job.

Kaz

Maybe a HMMWV owner can tell me why I should sell my 2 CUCV's that are street legal, cheaper to purchase, maintain and operate and get me anywhere in the woods that I need to go? Other than emotional "Cool" factor I don't get it? Am I missing something?
Just a cool factor? Isn't the way they're spoken about in hushed tones indicative of just how great they are? Only the uninformed will stand there like Ace Ventura whenever someone says "Shikaka" and everyone else kneels. :p

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Going back to topic....While it may not be the best truck for the job, what do you guys think of the HMMWV's potential to be an off-road recovery vehicle to aid other vehicles?
The military always uses the buddy system. You do not want to take a HMMWV offroad alone. Even with a front and rear winch. You may fair better with a repower offroad but they aren't great by no means. Recovery operations suck in general in the mud. They wear and tear on things. Why I have a 60k winch in the back of my 5 ton and 400ft of cable and straps. Not worth tearing my truck up.

Sometimes the recovery guy needs to be recovered. Always have two cause it is easier to get unstuck when it just happens over the suction getting you from sitting.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

tage

farm use. lately been pulling large juniper across 40 acres once they're stumped with the back hoe. Sure I can hook them up to the back of the tractor, but what's the point...?
The pintle comes in handy moving trailers around as well
The side by side is a good idea... however from the bad back and firm suspension... I'll keep mine limited to the private roads I have.

jeffy777

When I was a young man and the Humvee was trying to win the contract to they drove them all over the world - Gobi Desert and all kinds of places. It did things nothing else could do. I wanted one back then. So surprise surprise I can get one... so I got one. What you are missing is... sometimes you want something a little impractical, you just want it.

Look it is pretty cool.cool look.jpg

No really it was -1 and it runs! ;)

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just remembered. a range that I shoot at, has a HMMWV. I'm guessing they use it for hauling around some metal targets and stuff from storage or similar. I haven't actually seen them drive it, but it's always in different places, so...

Gunzy

I hear "Cool Factor" and "Impractical." Well, as far as I am concerned I don't want one. The price for a decent one to me is to high and that diesel drivetrain is weak. If I could get one with a bad engine cheap, and I mean CHEAP, I would put in 400hp of small block Chevy and an O/D trans to give me what I want. Well, since that isn't going to happen I went a different "Cool and Impractical" direction, an M985 HEMTT. I am into it less than a lot of guys are into their HMMWVs. Sure, I can't take it where you can take a HMMWV, but your HMMWV can't carry what I can and doesn't have a crane. JMO

Videris

I hear "Cool Factor" and "Impractical." Well, as far as I am concerned I don't want one. The price for a decent one to me is to high and that diesel drivetrain is weak. If I could get one with a bad engine cheap, and I mean CHEAP, I would put in 400hp of small block Chevy and an O/D trans to give me what I want. Well, since that isn't going to happen I went a different "Cool and Impractical" direction, an M985 HEMTT. I am into it less than a lot of guys are into their HMMWVs. Sure, I can't take it where you can take a HMMWV, but your HMMWV can't carry what I can and doesn't have a crane. JMO
I second what Gunzy says! I dont want an HMMWV either. Oh wait.......looking in my backyard.....dammit! Who put those pieces of crap back there. Oh well nevermind.

Awol

Practically every military surplus vehicle is impractical, with a few exceptions. Every military surplus vehicle is cool though.

Basically anything that is cool, is going to be impractical.

NormB

If/when I get the bugs worked out, I plan on taking mine to parades and exhibits from time to time until such time as I can haul it down to our retirement home in Hampshire, TN where I plan on using the 18k lb hydraulic winch for hauling logs and whoknowswhat. Maybe I'll hook of a DR trencher on the back end (backhoe) and use it to maintain pond and driveway drainage ditches. ;-)

daniel.7575

Living here in the UK Humvees are street legal.. I show mine and often use it for the commute to work.. However, I would LOVE the opportunity to off-road it, trouble is unless you have access to private land on this small island the laws about using green lanes are pretty strict, I've been shouted at by many dog walkers and farmers on my dirt bike doing this, the Humvee is too wide to fit down many lanes anyhow!

jeffy777

If I had a place to put the HEMITT I would get one of those too. Dang they are sweet! Lucky dude! HEMITT envy.

But I still like my HMMWV. And right now it would be tough to part with. Mine does not have a crane but a spot next to my house(oh and in my heart).

Jeff :)