• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m998a1 mpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found this searching this forum.

although I will admit it is a pleasant ride! I have gotten 12 - 14 mpg. Nothing great -- but better than the 10 MPG we see on the civvies.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Fuel Economy of the Humvee: It varies, but generally less than 12 miles per gallon of diesel fuel. Usually around 8 on the highway and 4 in the city.

TedG

When I refuel and someone asks me about fuel mileage in my hmmwv, I say it gets over 20 mpg. The look on their confused faces is priceless. It takes the wind out of their sarcastic reply.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuel mileage is as described to me by a military mechanic (CRAPPY at best) and any of them that are armored (I know WE cant get them) you can cut CRAPPY in half on a good day!
KK

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What state is SW?

I thought the final drives on them go bad at high speeds.

Army Kid

Banned
What state is SW?

I thought the final drives on them go bad at high speeds.
SW = Southwest :)
By 'final' drive do you mean transmission or x-fer case or diffs or all of the above?
I've put about 6K miles on it, and to get to the good offroad trails I need to drive at least an hour at ~70mph to get there. This motor wants to keep pulling strong even at that speed, but I don't push it over that.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the site rules requests a state in your location.:)

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By Final Drives I mean, The last place power is transmitted to the wheels.

From the TM, GEARED HUBS - Serve as the front wheel steering spindle and act as the final drive components to front and rear wheels.

Army Kid

Banned
By Final Drives I mean, The last place power is transmitted to the wheels.

From the TM, GEARED HUBS - Serve as the front wheel steering spindle and act as the final drive components to front and rear wheels.
Yeah, I first thought that maybe "final drive" meant geared hubs... but... then thought, they are the same hubs on the trucks that have a 4L80 transmission, like the H1 w/ same 6.5L Turbo, or Alpha w/ Duramax. So then thought maybe you meant some other drive component that was specific to the M998 3-speed setup that I have.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Army Kid, Please change your user profile to reflect your State of Residence. It is a site requirement. Ignoring a moderators request is not a good thing.