• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Made a console / stuff box

number9

Since the glove box is too far to reach to keep readily needed items I've been thinking of some kind of console / stuff box. I used a small ammo can, ground the spot welds out to remove the hinges and latch, drilled a couple holes in each side and used corner braces found at walmart / lowes to mount it to the bottom of the dash panel.

I picked up a roll of sleeping mat foam a few weeks ago when we took the boys to Titusville, FL to watch the Atlantis Shuttle launch. I cut sections of the foam and hot glued them on the bottom, and 3 sides of the box so stuff won't be rattling around in there and it will be kind to my cell phone.

I shot everything with walmart green camo - not a perfect match but looks a lot better without the camera flash.

If you do this watch out for the air line that lays on the top side of the bottom of the dash panel when drilling the holes. Also be sure to locate the box far enough to the right of the gear shift so you'll have clearance when you put it in reverse.

Attachments

That is nice. I've been thinking of making something for storage in the cab of my M109, and this would be a good start until I can find another springer seat to put in the passenger side, and have a section between the two where I could build another console there. I also like the fact a military vehicle is modified using more military steel rather than steel from China, which unfortunately cannot always be avoided. It would be cool to add a flip-down lid to make it more recognizable as an ammo box. Maybe even stencil in "AMMO" on the sides to keep the theme going there.
How often do you get down to Florida? We have a nice place down about 2 miles from Blue Springs, and we have enough room for several MVs the size of deuces or 5-tons on 10 acres. If you are coming down sometime and would like a nice place to camp out, let me know with a PM. Blue springs, Ginnie springs, and Poe springs all run along the same road near our home, and all are great family places for a dip in a giant pool of crystal-clear water. I would like to organize a rally sometime later this year, probably around august, for the SS members that would be interested.
Didn't mean to highjack your thread here, but the box you made leads to better cruising, and with better cruising, and since you seem to like Florida, thought you might like a destination to cruise to you probably would otherwise overlook.
I also did my basic training in Ft Knox, KY, so I have a soft spot for anyone from Lexington, KY.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks