• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maintence of Welded Hemmtt Wheels

broman78

I'm like most people who like the look of the welded hemmtt wheels on the deuce. My concern what is the maintenance required for the welded rims? Do you need to have rim inspected via ultrasonic or other means of measurement on a yearly basis?

Jones

I'd definately do a visual once every 3 to 6 months. The trouble spots are most likely gonna be at the edge of the heat discolored area around the welds.
If you don't layer on 3 or 4 heavy coats of paint and primer, you may see a rust streak indicating two sides of a crack flexing and working against each other.
If you're running tubeless and have an air leak; check everything including the rim with a soapy water spray.

Other protection is checking to see what kind of rating the welder has, structural, aircraft, etc. and if you get a written warranty covering defects in materials and workmanship.