• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making a fiberglass hood?

Bigmanbrock07

So I'm thinking about having a friend pop my 5ton hood out of fiberglass. He's really reasonable, and if it isn't too much for the consecutive ones, is anyone interested in loaning me a deuce hood to have done? If it turns out like I want it can be raised if needed or left stock for the guys like me with rotted ones that just need replacing. I would gladly pass them along for whatever he charges me per hood. I'll even take the inital hit on the mold.

Any interest? I'll be taking him my hood in about 3 weeks. Just wondering if I've lost my mind, or if this could be useful to anyone else...

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the cummins hoods seem harder to find. Aren't the 5 ton multi-fuel hoods different than deuces too? (don't do 5 tons)

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a A3 fiberglass one piece hood someone said we should pop to replace those who have the chopped up metal ones.

Bigmanbrock07

I've seen this guy build one off car tubs, so I know he can do it. I hadn't thought about it but getting him to make the hard top out of fiberglass might be easier than me doing it out of metal when I 4 door it.

And yes, I have a different hood than a deuce, but the same cab I *think*. However, I'm totally down for getting my hood done and showing some pictures so see what ya'll think. Then if you like it, we can have him do whatever anyone needs as long as he's reasonable with pricing.

Bigmanbrock07

The whole point of the fiberglass is to replace a heavy rusting steel hood. Unless you're a twig, I don't see you being able to walk on them. As for the hard tops, and please forgive my ignorance here, but do they just unbolt so as I could have a mold of one popped?

Riktord

The whole point of the fiberglass is to replace a heavy rusting steel hood. Unless you're a twig, I don't see you being able to walk on them. As for the hard tops, and please forgive my ignorance here, but do they just unbolt so as I could have a mold of one popped?
Theoretically, if he were to make a mold and spray in the fiberglass chopped mat with the proper resin it would have the build and strength of that cheap children's playground equipment from years back.

Not sure how LIGHT it would be but it could hold a rather "healthy" individual.

motomacguyver

Well I would walk on one because I can walk on my rusty steel one. Also my reason for for wanting a replacement would be RUST. not weight. So do you think soldier B doesn't walk on his stock fiberglass hood?

Last edited:

RANDYDIRT

Yes, they just unbolt.

Dirt

PropDr

Yeah but it's fun and messy to do it on your own...
It's expensive to make tooling for something like that, been there done that.

I really don't think you would want to spray them with a chopper gun. They will be weak and crack easily.

Last edited:

Darwin T

all of the fiberglass cab tops that i have seen have the 5 light spots on the front instead of the flat top. i am looking for a fiberglass or full steel top that i can put my M66 cab support ring on. not just the regular hardtop. let me know if anyone has what i am looking for.

Darwin T

oh yea, back to the post, let me know how the fiberglass hoods turnout i have 3 deuces and i might put one on at least one truck if price with shipping is not outragious.

Bigmanbrock07

No problems darwin. As for the hardtop I wouldn't mold the lights in it. Easier to add them later on if that's what you wanted. I'm all about function over form. So if I need to change something over stock so that it works better I'm all for it.

Give me a couple weeks and I'll see what my fiberglass guy says. I can't see a hood being anywhere near the 688 like the other ones.

Last edited: