• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making this truck a daily driver

AlexFolino

I love my M1008.. i look forward to taking it to work everyday. Only problem is i work 25minutes away and its 90% highway. I can do 55 all day long but its just still to unstreetable. I plan on working a lot of extra overtime soon so have money to make this truck a true daily driver which brings me to the question of what should i do first? My goals are for this to be able to do 60-65 safely, have enough power to climb hills without the guy behind me flipping me off for the first 500yds. Id like to stick with the 4:56 however. Would installing a 700R4, and 35's cure this? Also im considering a 6.5L turbo setup. I just love this truck to much to let it sit because i cant get up hills and have to much trouble on the highways, i want to run this everyday. helppppp!

idM1028

Shouldn't be a problem. Even with 4.56's, with a 700R4 you should be able to do close to 80 on stock 32"-ish tires at the same RPM you're doing now at 55. If you're gonna run 35's and a 700R4, you'll probably want to look at a stronger, built-up aftermarket tranny since the 700R4's aren't quite as strong as the TH400's.

idM1028

You might also consider a gear vendor overdrive.

Here is a link:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/68006-gearvendor.html
Yeah, the Gearvendors look nice and I've definitely thought about putting one in my M1028, but last time I checked they cost almost as much as the truck :shock: That and if you're like me and you've got the M1028A1 or M1031 with the slip yoke NP205, you've got to get a SYE kit before you can even think about the Gearvendor. Not that I want it anyways. . .

soule64

I have an M1008A1 and also needed to be able to drive at highway speeds. I got the G/V overdrive and I have to say that it is fantastic. I added 33" wheels and can cruise 70mph all day long. this weekend I drove it to Birmingham and back (200 miles) on 3/4 of a tank. The unit cost more than the price of the truck but it is easy to add with no serious modifications to the driveline (sans shortened driveshaft). I had to replace the trans, t-case and shaft anyway (forklift damage) so I figured what the ****...

Attachments

jimmy-90

A 700R4 should be ok just to commute with since over the years they put it into trucks with slightly higher output motors. If you want to tow with it or haul heavy loads I wouldn't recomend a stock 700R4 and im sceptical about useing the beefed up ones as well for that. I thought about re-building the 700R4 out of my other truck and puting it into my M1028 but these days I rarely leave my house in that thing without a trailer hooked to it so I decided aginst doing that. As far as the top speed goes when I leave my house in the morning the rush hour is so messed up out here that the trucks limited top speed isn't really a problem most of the time.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an M1008A1 and also needed to be able to drive at highway speeds. I got the G/V overdrive and I have to say that it is fantastic. I added 33" wheels and can cruise 70mph all day long. this weekend I drove it to Birmingham and back (200 miles) on 3/4 of a tank. The unit cost more than the price of the truck but it is easy to add with no serious modifications to the driveline (sans shortened driveshaft). I had to replace the trans, t-case and shaft anyway (forklift damage) so I figured what the ****...
PM sent

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I regularly tow 5000# with my bone stock 91 burb with a 6.2 and 700R4. Because of the unstellar reputation in their first few years, they are often looked down upon. The 6.2 just doesn't have enough power to hurt the 700. I have almost everything I need for.my 700R4 swap in my Oh-8.
A decently built 700R4 could handle.anything a turboed 6.5 could throw at it. The rodding crowd are scooping these things up at break neck speed. Fear not.

jets1959

Try changing to 255/85/r16s first. The cheapest way to go. I do sixty five all day long and can do seventy in short spurts. To pass slower vehicles on the hwy.:)

jdeoliveira74

so what i see is mixed reviews. I have a 09 and was thinking 700r4 also since i do alot of highway driving. I have a doner k5 gas in my driveway with 700 and transfer case. Just debating if i should do it or not!?

idM1028

so what i see is mixed reviews. I have a 09 and was thinking 700r4 also since i do alot of highway driving. I have a doner k5 gas in my driveway with 700 and transfer case. Just debating if i should do it or not!?
I can't see why not. But, I also can't see why since the 1009's have the 3.08 gears. You should be able to do 60, 65, 70 pretty easily. Chances are with a 1009, you're gonna blow up those 10-bolts before you blow up the 700R4. Sorry if I have a low opinion of the axles. I've seen too many of them blow up on here and in person.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only benefit with this combo is the 3.06 first gear. You would be lugging the engine at highway speed with OD.

DieselBob

I have had several vehicles with 700R4's in them and have not had any problems. The last was in a 89 V1500 jimmy that I used as a daily driver and hauled my 28' 7800# rv trailer. Had over 350K on the clock when I sold it and the original engine and transmission was going strong. Transmission fluid changes every 35K miles. Somewhere around 200K I changed the differential gears from the factory 3.42 to 4.10 and actually pickup 1 ~ 2 MPG.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my opinion, the 700R4 will cure all of your woes in one package. The change is very inconspicious as well. Just picture running it up to 55 MPH as it is and have one more good shift. Adding bigger tires adds to the benefit, especially the 255s but the price of them isn't for the weak at heart. 700 swap could be done reasonable too, find a transfer and tranny takeout and you would need 4 more items. The 6.2 unique TV linkage, a diesel governor ($50), correct flywheel and a diesel torque convertor ($100 exchange at Autozone). Although the tranny is a bit longer, the adapter is shorter so no driveshaft mods required.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks